Friday, June 13, 2008

swim (walk, crawl), bike (hike, carry, crash)...

ok, so today I met Ted for a preride of the Richmond course. I had to get off my bike at least 10 times for some steep uphills over rocks/roots that I just didn't quite make it up and over, and I think one or two steep down switchbacks with deep sand/debris that kind of freaked me out. I carried my bike up about 200 stairs, and down about 100. We got lost, and I rode a bunch of extra miles. But that's ok. It will make the race day ride seem short! And I just can't wait for those stairs again! Oh yeah, it was hot again. I didn't fill the camelback all the way and I needed it. I'll have to rethink race day, and fill the camelbak all the way (which i would have done) but maybe also take a bottle from the aid station and drink some of it quickly right then. Rumor has it the swim will start in waves, so at least I won't have all the fast pro riders who are so slow swimmers right on my ass when I get on the bike scaring the bejeezis out of me.

Then there was a swim clinic today where the swim course designers swam us through the course. All I can say is what a freaky crazy weird swim course. Its in a river, so you have current to deal with. But the river varies from only 1 foot deep to 6 feet deep. Many times there are rocks shallow enough that they brush against your stomach, and your hands grab them as you pull underwater. This is just one very bizarre swim.

No run report as I'll just wait until race day to see that one.

I had tiramisu tonight for dessert - uh-oh! I also had my first hoho of the trip today - double uh-oh! Just getting ready for the race ;-)

No comments: