Monday, June 9, 2008

Race Report - Xterra Southeast Champs

For some reason, the xterra people like to start the regional championship races at 9:30am! In Alabama in June, at 9:30am its already 90 degrees! By race end this year it was 100. ugh.

So, this year, I was sporting a new race kit - the team I race for - Get A Grip Offroad racing team - suplied me with shorts and tri-top. The top had pockets in back, which is a big no-no for me in a swim. So I broke down and bought a Desoto speedsuit, hoping the speedsuit might help compensate for my absolutely dismal swim training this year, plus eliminate the drag from the pockets. My swim was still a little off last year, but it serves me right. I have been swimming 30 minutes twice a week at absolutely pathetic paces. Its time to get back to normal swim workouts when I get home. Oh yeah, the water was a way too balmy 82 degrees. I swam the whole swim next to Melanie McQuaid, 3-time xterra world champion, but of course she blew me away in T1 and everywhere else! In T1, there was one other age grouper just ahead of me. I started the bike knowing I should hydrate a lot, and I tried to ride smoothly. In the first 10 minutes, tons of pro men, women and fast men age groupers need to get by. Its stressful, because its all singletrack for the stretch, so I have to try to slow down, make room, its just not fun. One corner I tried to go too tight to give them room, and washed out. Lots of trail rash on the right leg (hard to see in the photo, but its really pretty!) , and I held up several people as I tried to pull my bike off the trail. Once I was going again, things were uneventful, the first AG woman passed me at the single track just before the doubletrack long uphill. SHe didn't pull away until I let some other guy go by near the top of the long hill, and I lost contact, because there's just inches of decent trail to ride on just on the side of the double track- the rest is rocks, gravel, and on the uphill its too easy to loose traction and then you can't get going again. SO I had to let her go. One more AG woman passed me just before blood rock, and the woman who was first in t1, was fixing a flat and I passed her. Of these 3, one was world champion last year, one was second at world championships last year (to a now first year pro), the other was just plain fast (20-24 ag, likely to be pro soon). SO I was not feeling too bad. I got to blood rock, rode half, then hopped off. Lots of people stand there to cheer and watch people crash. I told them I was walking, and they cheered me anyways - all are so supportive. Its a nasty stretch of rocky trail. No more passes to the end of the bike. My bike plus t2 was also a few minutes slower than last year. I'mnot sure where Ilost the time, maybe just overall heat fatigue, and the little wipeout at the start. The run scared me, as it is a beast. The first mile or two are relatively flat, and I ran the whole thing, moderately paced, taking gatorade and water twice. Then the run goes vertical on trail that is often loose, debris covered, and steep. ANd I mean steep. There is no hill in Bloomington that I can think of that compares - maybe that gravel road that Ange and I rode in January. Then back down. And the downs are steep, quad busting steep. I am slow on the steeps - down or up, doesn't matter. I had to walk a lot of the ups. I'd bargain with myself to run 40 more steps when I was ready to walk because my heart was ready to bust out of my chest. There are 5 or so big hills like this in 4 miles. It is an absolute beast. Did I mention its a beast? Well, it is. My run was 5 minutes slower than last year. The woman who I passed fixing her flat, passed me running, looking so strong. Then one more woman passed me on the run (she was world champ last year, and at this race I beat her by 10 seconds, this year, she beat me by about the same).

I hit the misting tent, which is just the most awesome thing at the end of a hot race. I need to set one of these up for my dogs.

I finished 1st in my AG (there were only two of us), and I was 5th amateur woman overall.

If you read my previous entry, you know I got to meet Conrad Stoltz after the race. That was very cool.

Now I'm in Asheville... next post coming soon.

No comments: