Thursday, June 12, 2008

How y'all doing?

Spending a week in the southeastern part of the US is a treat. I love the accents of the people who live here. And everyone is so friendly! Wednesday I had a pleasant mtb ride at Bent Creek in Asheville, with a retired guy named Bob who I met the day before. We did a pretty mellow ride that climbed a few miles on a gravel road then just some nice non-technical flowing single track. Easy paced, which helped my sore legs, but the best part was that the single track was just littered with little whoop-dy-doos - or whatever you call them - little jumps that you can get awesome air on. They were all over the trail. Like every 100 yards there seemed to be another to jump. I had a blast. Today we drove to Charlottesville, VA, and visited Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson. It's a very interesting place to go. ANd to hear the tour guides talking about Thomas Jefferson - he is truly an amazing person! When I get home I'll be hitting the library to read more about him, his inventions, his life.

A few bad things for the week - I've had ice cream 3 times so far! Its been ridiculously hot (except for one day). I've probably done a little too much shopping! I really miss home (I'm a hopeless homebody). And its not easy to get in good training while travelling - especially swimming. I'll be happy to get home. Tomorrow we make the quick trip over to Richmond, and I'll get in a pre-ride and/or a pre-swim. Should be an interesting course to report back on!

ok, its almost 8pm and I've put off a run all day so I think I'm going to head out for a short one before bed. good night all.

No comments: