Saturday, January 24, 2009

my childhood pre/during/post swim meet food favorites

Tomorrow I'm swimming in my first masters swim meet of 2009. I had pizza for dinner tonight. When I was an age grouper swimmer pizza (LaRosa's pizza, extra cheese) was my pre-meet meal (for evening meet sessions). I was a pretty picky eater as a kid. My mom was great. She indulged my breakfast pickiness (she didn't let me get away with only eating what I liked all day long, I still remember eating carrots, brussel sprouts and green peppers - I still don't care for those three things that much, but I have definitely grown to like a much wider variety of good foods). She went to two bakeries and got my favorite coffee cakes at each one. Every breakfast I had a chunk of each one and a pop tart. How's that for the breakfast of champions! Maybe that's one reason I didn't become a champion! ok, I feel like I became as much of a champion as my body and mind could muster at the time, so I definitely only hold fond memories of my food habits. When I was a really young swimmer (8&under) my favorite thing to eat during meets was jello - not prepared jello, but the jello powder out of the box. I'd walk around, box in hand, finger bright red from dipping in and sucking the jello from my finger. It was delish! After meets as an 8&under, hot dogs, french chews (chocolate and vanilla) were top of the list.

Back to today, pizza for dinner still hits the spot for a pre-meet meal. But I won't eat coffee cake for breakfast - Cheerios are now the breakfast of choice. And I'll have a couple of honey stinger bars on hand during the meet if I need a little pick me up, instead of jello. All's fair game though after the meet. I get rewards just for swimming the 200fly - as long as I don't drown or get DQ'ed, its a success!

No comments: