Friday, January 2, 2009

It’s the new year... time to do some new things.

So, I ran a race on the first day of the year. I’ve never run a race on Jan 1. I have not run a stand alone running race shorter than a half marathon since 1997. Why, because I’m not that fast, and it always seemed like such a waste of time to spend money to just go run a race moderately fast, when I could just do that for free (I’m so cheap sometimes). But I’m resolved to learn to run faster this year. And learn to suffer this year, especially when I run. (I guess also when I swim -which I know how to do, I did it for 20 years, I just have chosen not to for the past 20- and also when I ride. )

So, yesterday I head up to the big flat city to run a race, so I can do another HR test. I could do one 3 mile loop, or 2, as fast as I can go. Well, as I said I’ve never been particularly fast on two feet, and I truly have no idea how to run fast, how it should feel, how my legs and feet and arms and core should feel. I know its going to hurt, and I know I’m going to be gasping for breath. But its not something I’m familiar with. I’m more familiar with a little slower for a little longer. But as I said, I’m committed to getting out of my comfort zone and making myself learn to suffer on the short fast stuff.

This race was a non-scored race, just a fun run so to speak, but the course was closed to traffic, had mile markers, and a timing clock at the start/finish line. I’m standing about 5 rows back from the front at the start, far to the right. No one wanted to go to the front. I sure wasn’t. I’m not fast. The race starts, and some people take off way faster than me, but not a lot. Jen said to run as fast as I could, I think I started too fast. I was going to do 6 miles fast, but at mile 1 I was a shade under 7min (I’ve never run under 7min on a track for a single mile, and I have done no speedwork since , uh, August). I was already hurting at mile 1. The 15 degrees and 20 mile mph wind slapped me in the face for the second mile and I hit that at 14:20! Uh-oh, I was feeling the blowup coming. I was telling myself just do 3 miles, don’t worry about the 6. You can do 6 in the next race. Just suffer for another mile. Luckily the next turn was a side/tail wind, and somehow it pushed me home in 21:05. I felt like I wanted to barf. I stopped, a little disappointed in myself that I didn’t start a wee bit slower so I could do the HR test for 6 miles, but happy that I averaged right around 7min miles for 3 miles (not bad for this former fish who dreams of being able to run effortlessly - like Todd). I shivered and ran back to my car, maxed out the heated seat and blasted the heater for the hour drive home. First thing I did then was to check local race calendars, because now I’m determined to do these short races and make myself suffer and most importantly, RUN FAST!

Other new things for 2009? Hmmm, maybe I’ll swim a 200fly in a meet this winter, just to add to my 2009 sufferfest.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Mis B. said...

Run fast! I'm sending some speedy mojo your way :)

- Melissa