Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I used to be a pretty good swimmer

Then I became a retired swimmer who put very little effort into her occasional swims.

As of last night, I think I can call myself a swimmer again!

Jen gave me a challenge:
6x100 on 1:30, 200IM ez,
5x100 on 1:25, 200IM ez,
4x100 on 1:20, 200IM ez,
3x100 on 1:15, 200IM ez,
2x100 on 1:10, 200IM ez

I so wanted to make the last 5 with plenty of rest, not just touch and go, and definitely not touch, miss, and go. I gave last night's workout my best swim effort in 20 years. I made all the intervals, with lots of rest! The first 3 sets I was cruising with 15 and 10 seconds rest. Then I hit 1:06,1:08,1:10 on the 100's on 1:15, and 1:04 and 1:06 on the last two 100's on 1:10! I was so psyched! Seriously, I have not put such an honest effort into a swim since I was a declining collegiate swimmer. And it felt so good. I finished, smiled, thinking the people at the pool who saw me smiling must have thought I was a total dork. Here I am a 40 something swimming next to the little age group swimmers a few lanes over, I must look so out of place. But I don't care. For the first time in decades, I enjoy swimming again. Can't wait to hit a few masters meets and see what kind of times I can throw out in a race.

happy swimming!

2 comments:

Angela said...

Those people staring weren't thinking you're a dork. They were gawking in awe of your swimming, and of course, the Splish (?)swimsuit.

cheryl said...

yes, I was wearing my m&m's suit, so I'm sure everyone was laughing at my suit!