Sunday, September 7, 2008

my best crash of the year so far!

Today I hit the trails at BCSP with all the usual suspects. Was a little tired as I had already taken Daisy for a little trail run early. On the beginner loop I was second in line, following Kenny (who had just done the Leadville 100 this summer - yep, we had people from Indian, do the Leadville 100!). Anyways, one small split in the trail where some folks had gone off the trail, and he went the wrong way, yelled for me not to follow, but I was going way too fast , corrected too late, and I was heading straight for a tree. In a split second I thought, oh, this is so gonna hurt. I corrected slightly to the left, and smashed the right handlebar, plus right hand fingers into the tree, flipped over the bars, somehow told myself to go limp, tumbled, and stood up. I thought for sure, I was going to be hurting somewhere, but I moved the neck, legs, arms, and all that hurt was my right index finger, which took the brunt of the tree. The bike is ok except for a little shifting problem now, I'll work on that tomorrow. I was shaky for the next 10 minutes, just getting my mind back in the game. But somehow got it back together, and back on the technical trail, with Heather leaving early, and Kenny riding ahead, I rode my pace, constantly reminedd myself to look ahead, and cleared the whole trail, one small dab, but it didn't even break my pace. First time ever to ride that stretch so cleanly. Going the other direction opn the same stretch is not so good. but we took the road back today, and I will keep working on that stretch this fall. Off to the pool this evening for my own local triathlon (ok, its broken up over 10 hours), and I'm only swimming out of guilt since I haven't been in the water since Monday!

After Tahoe, its time to come up with my swim goals for the winter. I just checked the USMS top 10 results for the year. I wound up top 10 in my AG for 4 events, all places a tad lower than last year. I guess I shouldn't expect any more than that considering how little I actually train in the water. One of these years, I'm going to have a 6 month swim focus, and go to USMS nationsal and see what I can do. If I could just crack 1:03 in the 100fly and 100back I would be a happy 40+ year old girl! Its time to really work on the underwater - think Micheal Phelps off the walls.

No comments: