Sunday, September 14, 2008

editorial rant

This mornig I watched cnn as they re-entered a Texan woman's house after she returned from evacuating furing hurricane Ike. The water had risen 3-4 feet in her home, and had already receeded. She walked through her house thenstarted crying as she came upon a dog crate and she whispered that her 2 lab puppies had to be left behind in the crate and had drowned.

I AM LIVID. How can you be a pet owner, and leave your pets behind in an emergancy. She and her son left in a suburban. I'd say there was enough room for 2 puppies! And why did she have to leave them in a crate to drown. At least if they had been free in the house they could have swum, and climbed on counters or other high things.

I hope she is prosecuted for cruelty to animals for torturing her dogs and leaving them to die a certain painful death.

If I ever evacuate due to emergency the only things I even will care to take are my dogs and cats. They are the only things of value in my home.

I'm so sorry little Texan lab puppies. Rest in peace.

4 comments:

Maggs said...

OMG! that is AWFUL! My parent's live on the coast of alabama and evacuated ahead of gustav and know every single hotel in Alabama that allows dogs. After Hurricane Ivan they spent a night in their car (CRV) with 2 dogs in a walmart parkinng lot because they gave up their hotel room to go home, couldn't make it home because of debris and there weren't any hotels. People who have pets but don't accep the responsibility kill me!

WarKitty said...

My Momma didn't take her cats when her man convinced her to evacuate from Katrina. She left them loose in the house with food on the counter tops and some fresh water in the sink, thinking if it flooded the most her area had ever flooded was a couple feet and they'd be able to swim to the counters. She was *horrified* when the levee's broke, flooding her neighborhood like it had never been flooded before, but held out hope the cats would manage.

This time, when Gustav was coming through and she evacuated, the very first thing was getting the cat in the crate and in the car to go. Everything else is just stuff and can be replaced. She was damned if she was risking another tragedy like that. She's not yet forgiven herself for not *assuming* her house would go under 10.5' of water.

Kathy said...

I agree--I could NEVER leave my pets behind for any reason. And I certainly wouldn't leave puppies in a crate.

Angela said...

That's outrageous! People like that need to learn a lesson--the hard way. At least let them out of the cage.