Monday, August 4, 2008

where's the whoop-ass

Friday evening I was watching the Daily Show with John Stewart, as he interviewed Brian Williams (of NBC nightly news), and they were jabbing at each other, laughing, when Brian says something like 'I'm here for 30 seconds and I have to pull out the can of whoop-ass already'. I was cracking up. On the long ride Saturday, I had to dig into mine, even the ice cream sandwich half way through, and the cherry slush with 15miles to go, didn't refill my can of whoop-ass! But it was a good ride none the less. Sunday I opted for a mtb ride (since I still have a couple of xterras on schedule - including my first time to head to Tahoe, and 9000 feet of altitude! - I must be crazy). Anyways, we start riding up the trail, its a gradual uphill at the start, and my legs still felt empty, and I had forgotten all of my food! On the long climb up Aynes Loop, I was in zone 5, suffering, no whoop-ass in those legs! But things got better as I rode, and I even rode decently on the newer rocky section. I started to bonk with one more uphill and the downhill to the finish, Heather gave me a roctane gu, and that at least filled the hollow feeling in my stomach to get me back to the car, where I made a mad dash to the covenience store down the road and gulped down my chocolate milk chugs! oops, I was supposed to do a run after that ride, but it wasn't happening. So later in the day I thought I better htfu, and go run. SO I threw on a tri top, and swim bottom, shorts, grabbed my swim cap and goggles and planned a run to the pool, a quick few laps nad run back home. The water temp was hotter than the air temp! No refreshment there (and I won't even bore you with my bitching about the other swimmers that I encountered in just 200meters of swimming). It was better to start running again. As I was running I was considering the fact that the Steelhead half IM (that I did last year) had to cancel their swim in beautiful Lake Michigan yesterday). What a sad state, that we have so many tris that get swims cancelled these days. So much liability for the race directors, and athletes who enter events who can't swim well enough for rd's to be comfortable to allow a swim in somewhat rough conditions. I thought back to the half IM I did back in '99 down in Panama City. The beach was closed the three days leading up to the race, the surf was 5-6 foot high, talk of a change to a duathlon. Race morning, it was a bit lower, I have a photo of a wave charging out into the sirf, the wave height taller than they are, the swim went on! I was so psyched. It was rough, but good for me! Anyways, I don't mind the rough swim conditions, I guess I should toughen up about the bike and run too!

No comments: