Thursday, August 21, 2008

obsessing

There are 3 things I obsess about a bit more than I should:
1) FOOD
2) TRAINING
3) RACES

I love food. Especially food high in calories, and sweet! Ice Cream. Chocolate. Cookies. Hohos. Cherry Pie. Peach Pie. Chocolate. Ice Cream. You get the picture. The last few years I’ve learned to control my love of sweets, but there are some days, even some weeks (this week being one of them) where I just can’t eat enough to satisfy my sugar tooth. It bums me out when I don’t exercise that control. I really have to do better.

Am I training well? I seem to be tired a lot. My legs felt fatigued for over a month. My swimming usually feels like crap. And I want to nap all the time. So, am I training well, and just need to wait for the part of the training/race cycle where the legs will come around, or am I overtrained, or am I undertrained. I worry about it a lot. I think I’m overtrained, so I want to rest. But I worry that I’m undertrained, so if I rest, I’ll be even more undertrained, so I better not rest. Then I’m still tired. Its such a vicious circle.

Am I ready for my next race? I have my first half ironman of the season this weekend. Of course, I want to race well. I’d be very happy with a PR. I rarely feel ready for a race. I sometimes wish I was just staying home. But sometimes you have to push yourself out of your comfort zone. So, that’s what I will try to do this Sunday. As I read in one of my favorite race reports of the year ‘I will eat pain for breakfast!’. Well, I’ll try! After years as an age group swimmer, suffering was what you had to master to go far. I feel like I suffered a lot when I was young, training so hard, and racing to the max, sometimes its difficult for me as an adult to push myself quite that hard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,

Make sure you are resting plenty! Next week you should aim to take a few days off and chill out. I know exactly how you feel right now!

Dreama

Maggs said...

Good luck this weekend! All the obsessing will pay off, and after the race you should have all the high calorie food you want!