Monday, August 25, 2008

Nuclear Meltdown

I went to the Great Buckeye Challenge yesterday. The temps in the last 2 weeks have been mild, low humidity, very pleasant. saturday the high hit 95, and I was concerned for the race. They hold 3 races, a sprint, middle, and half, all on the same course. The sprint goes first, then the middle, and the half starts last. Not sure why, other than we need more challenge like running 13 miles at noon in the 90+ shadeless heat!

Anyways, the swim was uneventful. Swam around lots of people, nothing new there. The course may have been slightly long. I was out in 35min. Normally I'm 28-30. Not a single man or woman was under 30. But the odd thing was the awful chafe on the inside of my left bicep from my Desoto suit. I've been getting this every race, and each time I attributed it to my other top on the run, my camelback... But now I know what it was! Well, I won't be wearing it anymore because I got a nice little gash in it too. ok, so next year I get to buy something new!

The bike was ok. I didn't feel the heat until the last hour. Its a 2 loop course. One stretch of 4 miles was full of potholes, nice manuevering on the tri-bike. But I love my bike. Very comfortable for me.Split was 2:51. ok for a rolling hilly course.

I fumbled around in t2 as someone next to me had hung their wetsuit in my bike rack spot. Very nice, thank you. I was worried starting the run. It was very hot. My feet were hot. There was no shade. I stuck ice in my pockets, in my top, on my head. A 2 loop run again. I made myself run the first 6 miles no matter what. But then it was all over. I made deals with myself. Run 100 steps, walk at most 100. This went on for the whole 7 miles. Plus longer stops at aid stations trying to get my temp down. Trying to get my heart rate down. I knew this was my worst race ever. I don't wear a watch when I race. And sure enough, I recorded my slowest ever hald ironman. The first one I did 10 years ago was 5:45. Yesterday 5:46. Best time ever is 5:15 (last year). I felt pretty squashed. Heat races are out for me now (well, I can manage shorter races, but when I start running 13+ miles after noon, I can't do those anymore). Long races are also questionable in my mind. I don't really have the mental toughness that I thought I had. I'm ok with that. I love xterra, and I love my new bike, and will keep working on run speed, and do more short races. Life is too short to do something you really don't enjoy - when its something you just do for fun!

After the race I stood under a cold shower for a few minutes. Body temp was still high. Got to my parents one hour away, and went to bed with a mega-dose of advil, and cold cloths on my head. Managed a milk shake a few hours later, and was basically in bed for 12 hours. That is not the way I want to ever finish a race again.

No work today! No workout today! Just me and the pups and Jr hanging out at home.

6 comments:

WarKitty said...

All I can say is... I'm jealous of your swim. I take about that long to finish an olympic length swim.


*sigh*

Angela said...

I'm disappointed. Not disappointed in your excellent results despite the harsh environment; rather, there was no mention of a Greater's Ice Cream stop. Please tell me you didn't pass up this opportunity.

Angela said...

I also meant to say....rest easy. You deserve it.

cheryl said...

no graeters - I couldn't eat I felt so sick. I'll have to go back!

help_us_implore said...

I find your blog to be very intriguing,it is a pleasure reading it. Feel free to drop by my blog, your visit would honour

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,

That's a respectable time... I don't care what you say. Don't beat yourself up over it. It does sound like you have my luck when it comes to longer distance races and the weather though : )

Dreama