Monday, June 1, 2009

Yesterday I ate pain

Yesterday was the end of 3 long weeks of building hard work before Kansas 70.3 In my brilliant judgement I told Jen I'd really like to race the mountain bike race at my home trail. It was yesterday, day 21 of the 3 week period. What was I thinking! I spent $30 to taste pain and agony for 90 minutes. My HR was sky high, my legs burned and ached, I had nothing. nada. I finished last in the womens expert race. OUCH. The distance felt like a marathon, and the competition kicked my a$$. My climbing sucked, my trail skills did not flow, the only positive thing is that I did not crash!

So, yes, it was a sad result. I ate humble pie. I ate pain. Then I drank a chocolate milk shake. And things were better.

4 comments:

Mis B. said...

Your last paragraph made me chuckle! I've done this exact same thing before—and will probably do it again, maybe even this weekend :). Unfortunately, humble pie comes in a vegan, gluten-free flavor too.

But just think of all that good work and strength you've built! The taper will feel so good after working so hard these 3 weeks! Good luck in Kansas!!!

- Melissa

Angela said...

How can there be 3 last places?!?!? I thought I was taking the honor. Anyway, I'll bet you're glad to be tapering.

Maggs said...

Shakes seem to make things better.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Good for you! Chocolate always makes things seem better.... I am eating a lot of it now myself! You will be ready for Kansas!