Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Its summer!

everything says its summer

the calendar says its summer

the weather is hot and humid

my (Monica Geller in the caribbean) heat and humidity induced frizzy hair says its summer

the students left town over a month ago, and now we just have families (here for freshman orientation) wandering around asking for directions and occasionally going the wrong way down the one way streets

the pool water temperature is above 85 and its only June 24 (won’t be swimming there anymore!)

even the water temperature in the Lake Monroe is in the mid 80’s – and it’s a large lake! Ok, maybe its just the mile long finger where I swim that is no wake and doesn’t have boats to churn up the cooler deeper water to the surface, but its freaking nasty!

Last night I tested out my new xterra speed suit at the lake. I headed down to the lake with a few friends, 6 of us, 3 kayaks. The speedsuit has an interesting slippery feeling to it when wet, and I’m sure its faster than a plain old training swimsuit. But I didn't feel all slickery and fast. I felt like a slug. Because the water was almost as warm as the air and it was all I could do to get air into my lungs and not feel like I was breathing hot stinky water. I had to flip over and swim backstroke a few times just to breathe more fresher air. Well, at least the speedsuit fit, and felt comfortable, and I guess I’ll be wearing it in my next race, (which I’m guessing will have 90+ degree water, which will be a real treat).

Otherwise, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my new iPhone. Shazam is my favorite app, just hold it up to a song that you hear and it tells you the artist and song, very cool. I also like the Totally Awesome Fact app. It is totally awesome to learn completely irrelevant facts to spew out to your friends and family. Like who knew a beaver can swim a half mile under water on one gulp of air! Or that goldfish lose their color if they are kept in dim light or are placed in a body of running water. Or that porcupines float in water, or that penguins can convert salt water into fresh water (we should figure out how to bottle that!). Or that most of the worlds people must walk at least 3 hours to fetch water! And I am lucky, I don’t have to worry about converting my own salt water to fresh water, or walking 3 hours to get water, and I have an iPhone to entertain me. And speedsuit to wear in non-wetsuit swims. Talk about fortunate, or maybe that should be spoiled. Maybe a little of both.

have a great day!

2 comments:

Maggs said...

Hooray for summer! I love shazam too. But now I'm embarrassed by my taste in music, now that I know who sings the songs I like.

I'm definitely swimming in the ocean this weekend. 1 mile swim race on the North Shore is for sure.

swimfin said...

Glad you are enjoying your new iPhone. Love mine also! I have a blueseventy speed suit and I really like it. Can't say we have the same heat in the water problem here. I'm happy to have the slick black suit for the Tahoe swim which doesn't allow wetsuits and the water is 52*-58*. I did find it was too hot when I was racing in Hawaii.