Saturday, June 13, 2009

Pros and Cons of Traveling to a race by yourself

Yesterday I drove 8+ hours to Lawrence , KS , by myself. I've gone to plenty of small, local races by myself, but never to a larger one, or one far away by myself. I will admit the drive was incredibly boring! I had my camera out and anytime something caught my eye, I'd click the camera on, and hold it to up to the appropriate window and snap. When I got here last night I looked through the photos, and they were all crap. Imagine that!

So, what are the cons of travelling by yourself to a race:
1. no one to talk to in the car
2. no one to share driving duties with (which is tough for someone like me who does not like to drive)
3. you have to try to read mapquest directions while you are driving (I'm not very good at this).
4. you are probably by yourself for a good reason - I'm having to miss my nieces high school graduation party - sorry Stephanie - hope you have a fun day, and I'll see you soon.

There are some pros:
1. I can stop as often or not as I like (pottie stops, food stops, or just stretching the legs)
2. I can stop for whatever food I want and not whatever someone else wants
3. I can sing as badly and loudly as I want
4. if I have to burp or pass a little gas, well, I can do that anytime I want too!

So, of course, the first thing I did last night was to check out the local news weather forecast. Last night they were calling for strong storms early Sunday morning (race is Sunday!). This morning, they are toning that back a little, but saying stay tuned! I guess they like the saying 'if you don't like the weather in Kansas, just wait 5 minutes!' Indiana likes to use that one also. Its actually cool and cloudy right now (7am), I'm trying to chill about the weather, since I have no control over it.

I have to pick up my race packet, go to athlete meeting and check in my bike (after a little ride to make sure she is all ready to go), then check out the water. Then I have to get away from the athlete craziness, so I think I'll wander around Lawrence . Its supposed to ba a nice little college town, and since I live in a nice little college town a few states away, I hope its a good way to waste a little time. Maybe a little shopping!

tomorrow at this time, I'll be racing!

PS.. I'm sending good vibes to Angela for her mtb race today! Go Ang!

3 comments:

LittleRachet said...

Good Luck!!!! I'll be cheering for you! If you get a chance, stop by campsite #112. My team will be set up there, and you can chill with us if you'd like!

GO CHERYL GO!!!! Have a great race!!!

Angela said...

Thanks for the good luck vibes. I'm sending them back to you. Looks like the rain may have hit you in the morning????

Can't wait for a race report. I'm still trying to decide which is better: having someone to talk to or being able to pass gas at will.

Sherry said...

Congrats on a great race, Cheryl (yes, I stalked you)! Yeah... long distance driving isn't all that great. I drove from NJ to San Antonio, TX by myself when I was 20 and overly ambitious. Never, ever again! Ha! Can't wait for the race report!!! Congrats again!