Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Let’s see what other stupid things I can do…



Monday morning I’m walking the dogs back up the driveway, usually I drop their leashes and they go to the door, and I drop the poopbags in the can on the other corner of the garage. But I saw the neighbor cat, so I didn’t want the dogs to chase him so I hung on to the leashes, and they followed me to the trash.
Oops, there goes Max (cat) flying by again and Sam decides to follow. Unforunately following Max meant Sam had to jump down a 4ft retaining wall. Sam, and his new $3k bionic leg, and me still attached to the leash. I felt myself falling the 4 feet in slow motion, landed on my side, woomph, and knocked the wind out of me, gasped, then cried, then saw Daisy standing on top of the wall staring at me, and Sam yanking my arm out of the shoulder socket trying to get Max (we were still attached!). After a few curse words at Sam, and a few at myself, I took inventory and everything was where it should be, I wasn’t broken! That was a relief.

The I’m riding my bike to work, like any other day. It was a nice breezy morning, and I arrive at the bike rack just outside my office and realize I forgot my bike lock. So I stand at the rack with my 20 year old clunker commuter (which works just fine for my 3 mile ride through neighborhoods), and I nonchalantly leaned it against the rack and fiddled around with my helmet and stuff just pretending like nothing was amiss, then turned and walked away without locking the bike. I’ve been wanting to get a new commuter bike for a few years now, but just have not been able to justify it. Why? Who knows! Its not like I don’t ride it, I ride to work at least 80% of the days all year round, even in winter, so its not like I wouldn’t get use out of it. So I’m secretly thinking all day that maybe its my time to get a new bike and this is fates way of telling me. If I go out after work and the bike is gone, fate was on my side! Well, it was not, because my bike was still there! Only in a small town can you leave a bike outside all day unlocked and still have it waiting for you at the end of the day. But wait, I was going to tempt fate one more time. Because I had to swim after work, and had to leave my bike unlocked again at the pool. One hour later, IT WAS STILL THERE! bummer.

This morning I had a super fun run to do, and 55minutes into it, I was having some serious GI issues (this has happened now 3 times in the past few weeks, dunno whats up with that). Anyways, I was only 5 minutes from home, and thought I could make it, but NO. I had to stop and do the poop walk/stand (you know, stand still, squeeze every muscle in your lower body to keep everything inside) 4 times in 5 minutes! It was sooooooooooo bad. I will spare you the rest, other than to say I was remembering Uta Pippig back in the 80’s (or was it the 90’s) when she ran the Boston marathon and just had all kinds of crap running down her legs during the race. NO! I didn’t have anything running down my legs, I just remembered her and was praying the same didn’t happen to me.

Still rode the old clunker to work this morning, and even locked it. I guess I won’t be getting a new commuter bike anytime soon.

1 comment:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Ahhh, Bloomington, I laugh about your stories and always look for them in your posts. I was probably one of those dumb freshman going the wrong way down the street! The bathroom issue unfortunately is something I think we all have faced. I think its a form of torture, probably even worse than water boarding? Glad you survived - barely!!! I have had even worse experiences!