Wednesday, June 10, 2009

a Shout out to Brian

Brian is my local ART guru. When I first learned about ART 6 years ago, there was no one in our small town of Bloomingotn who practiced ART. I had to travel 2.5 hours away to find Sophie (triathlete and ART extraordinaire). The 4 years ago Brian moved to Bloomington! This was a fabulous day. I think I was in to meet Brian within a few weeks of his arrival, and have probably seen several dozen times over the years. Sometimes for several treatment on the same problem, sometimes just for a little tune-up. Neck, back, hip, hamstring, ankle, wrist, the list goes on and on and on. Every time I go, I am so thankful that Brian is here.

Back in 1999, I had a snowboarding accident. I crashed in Jackson Hole, and landed on my head, knocked my cervical sping (c6 and c7) out of alignment, and was in a lot of pain for a long time. Ten years later and I still have neck issues, sometimes tweaking it badly doing stupid things like trying to eek out an extra pullup, or even that super strenuous exercise of pulling a sweatshirt on over my head. Then compound it with my less than ergonomic desk that I sit at for 8 hours a day, and riding bikes (and occasionally crashing on the mtb), and my neck is frequently unhappy.

After NOLA 70.3, my neck was very gunked up, and they had some ART guys there, so I asked one to work on my neck. And while it felt better after 10 minutes of work, his technique was way too aggressive and I was scared he was going to paralyze me. I should have asked him to stop. Yesterday I saw Brian for a little neck tune-up, and told him this story (I have not had to see Brian since then - that is a long time for me to go without needing to see him). I remember thinking (at NOLA) that I was so lucky to have Brian and not them! Brian - you are the best! Thanks for keeping me moving!

BTW... Brian was an alternate on the Atlanta track&field Olympic team! yep. so not only is he a great doctor, he is also a top notch athlete. So, even though I'm an older athlete, he can understand my desire to train and compete, and he does everything he can to keep me healthy.


THANKS BRIAN!

5 comments:

Angela said...

YES!!! I have another appt w/ Brian next week. Thanks so much for the referral and shout out! I still call him, "Dr. Feelgood," although not to his face. Is he reading this????

Mis B. said...

Yay for Brian!!! He's the absolute best! I miss his ART magic. (No ART folk around Blacksburg :( but fortunately I've found an amazing rolfer and chiropractor in town, or I'd be all twisted up in knots.)

Kathy said...

I've gone to him for what he thought was probably a tiny tear in my glute after some work in the weight room. It did help.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Glad your neck is feeling better! Hey, when are you driving through Mo to get to Kansas 70.3? If you need a snack/bathroom break on the long drive stop by my home!! My $ i on you to get a Clearwater slot. Keep me updated and let me know how the race goes!!

Sherry said...

Ouch! Yikes! You have certainly taken some tumbles.

I haven't experienced the wonders of ART myself (yet), but Sondra (from camp) goes to a therapist twice a week. She LOVES him! He has really helped her to get on the road to recovery with piriformis/hamstring issues. Good stuff!!!