Monday, June 22, 2009

Much Ado About Nothing

Its been a quiet week since Kansas, except for thunderstorms that roll through every other day. We went from a spring of some warm days sprinkled amongst cooler days, with plenty of rain, to the last 5 days above 90 and very humid. I always say the air is thick as pea soup, and I swear, IT IS! And to top it off, I went to the outdoor pool this morning, and even with all the rain we have had, 5 hot days has shot the water temperature up to 86 already. I can't swim there anymore. So sad. My biggest gripe (and I have plenty of them!) is that our outdoor pool is heated, so in May they fill this nice big 50m pool, and turn the heater on so the temp is at 80 on Memorial Day weekend when it opens. That's great, until 2 weeks go by and heat waves heat the water up to 85-90 with no hopes of cooling off. Why they can't just leave it be cool in May,and warm up naturally, I do not understand! It infuriates me!!!!!! At least for tomorrow, I found a kayaker to go with me down to the lake so I can swim open water. Love that!

Fortunately I got Junior back in the house before I left for work, because the skies busted loose with a torrent of rain,thunder and lightning around 8am. Sam barked at me as I left, he knew the storm was coming (you could hear distant rumbles), and he did not want to be home alone. Hopefully Daisy and Junior gave him some comfort. The roads around campus flooded again because the rain came down so heavy and fast.

Yesterday Heather and I road most of the xterra Versailles course. It was like a jungle in there. Thick green moistness everywhere. My skin was covered by a film of sweat, then scratches from all the overgrown sticker bushes and stinging nettles, then the occasional mud splatter from the peanut butter like mud in some of the corners, and the worst part was the constant fear of ticks falling onto me. I HATE TICKS! They freak me out. Post ride tick inspection found none on me! woohoo! But one on Heather :-(

Fortunately Versailles (pronounced Versails, not Versaiy like in France), is a pretty handy setup. Despite being 1hr45min from home, and out in the middle of nowhere, this state park is fairly compact, and has a pool right by the lake, which is right at the mountain bike trail head, and the hiking trail head. And a full running water bathroom and a small campstore with cold drinks!

So, we rinsed the sweat and mud off, and threw on our running shoes and set out to check out the xterra run course. We did not do the whole thing, the first 3 miles had lots of steep hills, and it was hot now, and we were tired. Sometimes its best to let the race be a surprise!

A freezer pop and cold coke from the camp store tied us over until the DQ at North Vernon, where I tried the new chocolate brownie batter blizzard! YUM! I was a bit hesitant at first, brownie batter in my ice cream? But it was really brownie, not batter. And it was delish! I thoroughly enjoyed it, and once again I just look at it as my post workout recovery food (slightly different from my favorite chocolate milk, but close enough!)

Todd and I got to tear up our deck this weekend, as it has a small termite infestation! ICK! That was hard work. As much as I train to swim, bike and run, when it comes to back breaking yard or construction work, I'm not the most helpful. I give up quickly if I'm not strong enough to do something, and if its hot, and sweat is dripping into my eyes, I'm just pathetic. But Todd is persistent, and he got the job done. Deck demolition complete, termites sprayed. Now we get to plan a little re-landscaping (hard scape and soft scape). Should be fun.

The highlight of this week should be getting my new iPhone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Randi said...

The major draw to Versailles State Park (which Cheryl has somehow overlooked) is the presence of the XLerator in the restroom. It is guaranteed to meet your hand drying needs--in 12 seconds!

cheryl said...

Yes, how could I forget the XLerator. It is an awesome piece of engineering!

Angela said...

YES! I'm the same way. After riding on Sunday, I was put to work unscrewing (with a drill) screws from studs that we are going to reuse in the basement. It was so hard compared to riding; gardening after that was equally difficult. WHY is everything so much harder than cycling?

Lindsay Hall-Stec said...

I think the "batter" is the fudge they put in to make the ice cream chocolate. Either way, it's pretty much the best thing invented. I had my annual Brownie Batter Blizzard yesterday as part of my post-Lumberjack day of fun.