Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Pain Free!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday I went back to my Brian, my ART guru, and after 2 weeks of no workouts, 3 weeks of pain identification, I was able to much more precisely describe to him my problem (it was not so easy since it was random). He was relieved to hear more description and said its likely not tendonitis (or even worse tendonosis), but more likely a nerve entrapment. So he poked around, and inflicted more pain, and sent me home. The rest of the day I was sore from the session, but not the pain I was having before. Tuesday morning dog walk was pain free, so I ran for 15 minutes, easy, but it was pain free too! Rode my bike to work (whopping 3 miles that it is) and no pain! No pain walking around the office! The pessimism of the past 3 weeks is now replaced with optimism. I saw Brian again this morning (I ran the 1 mile to and from his office), even though the pain is gone, he said the nerve is still swollen. I’ll keep taking it easy, but slowly get back into things. This is the best news I could have asked for. Daisy will be happy too as she has been begging for a run on the trails (her waiting at the garage door when I put on my running shoes is the dog language I understand).

Its funny how an injury can make you so crazy. You spend your free time analyzing every movement, every pain, every possible cause, looking for any possible treatment. As an athlete, it consumes you. And I’m not a pro, I do this for fun, and it should not consume me.

To put things in perspective, my long time training friend, Emily, donated one of her kidneys to her father several years ago. She is doing great, has qualified for Boston even. Her father has done well too. This week he’s having some health issues, and she flew to California to be with him. I’ve been thinking about them all week, and realizing how my little injury is not really that big of a deal when you are looking at the much bigger picture in life. My prayers and thoughts are with them, and I hope all the best for their family.

No comments: