Tuesday, October 7, 2008

my Tahoe Mis-adventure

Friday I woke up at 4:30am, was at the airport by 7, paid $210 to take my bike and bag - uh $215! what! I thought about not paying and staying home, but plunked down the credit card and went through the gate (turns out they overcharged me, so I just filed a claim this morning to be reimbursed). First flight was delayed 2 hours, and I missed my connection from Chicago to Reno, and had to get a 2 stop flight through Denver to Reno. My luggage didn't make it and I arrived in Reno to rain and 40 degree weather. We drove to Tahoe, it was snowing when we went over the Mt Rose mountain pass!

It rained all night Friday night, woke Saturday morning to much of the same. And my luggage arrived! Bike box was damaged, and they had taken apart my box and not reassembled the packing the same so I feared for damaged or bent components - damn airlines/TSA! Expected high 40. The xterra Nevada swim was cancelled and turned into a run(bike/run) race. I bid on a shirt for the Jamie Whitmore (see her blog inthe sidebar to read about her fight with cancer) in the slient auction. Next assembled the bike and took it for a spin and it was ok - thank goodness! Then a race dinner, received the regional points winner jersey (very nice sugoi jersey) and off to bed.

Woke Sunday mrning to stars! yeah! Clear skies in the forecast. It was 35 degrees. Headed to race, got there early and picked a spot on the bike racks, and just hung out for a while. Wetsuits on and headed down to the 59 degree crystal clear water. The race started, and the water temp didn't feel that bad. Sun to the left, so I just breathed right so I could see. For not swimming for 9 days, I didn't feel too bad. Getting out after the first lap and running across the beach I felt a bit woozy and a bunch of guys passed me as I stumbled back into the water. Another uneventful lap (for me at least - I still can't figure out why people get so worked up on a swim and try to bash all over other people fighting for space instead of just relaxing and letting things spread out for a few seconds). Anyways, out of the water and I fumbled with cold hands and feet to put on shoes for the 1/4 to 1/2 mile run to t1. I'm always amazed how fast many people run to t1, I just manage to get there without passig out, and spend what seems like 10 minutes trying to get my wetsuit off, then camelback on, socks on, shoes on, gloves on, glasses on. The hands just don't work so well when they are cold! As I was sitting there in the sun I felt so warm, I opted for no additional clothes for the ride. Maybe a mistake.

Out onto the bike, the climb starts right away, in a half mile it turns into a sand road, and it goes on for 3 miles. And its steeper than Aynes loop at BCSP all the way to the top. I was in the granniest of granny gears I had - the entire climb! I gasped for air, and stopped twice just to breathe. Had to push bike to a spot where I could get on again and resume riding each time. I was soooo happy to reach the top. I really did not manage the climb or the altitude well. It was difficult to eat and drink, I tried to get some down, but it was cool and the stomach was not entirely happy. The flume trail section was beautiful as you ride along the edge of the mountain overlooking the lake - 2000 feet higher! You can't really look down, or you'll ride right off the edge and down for a thousand feet. After you round Marlot lake, another climb which forced another short dismount to breathe, then some more rollers and climbing - ARGH! One last dismount - this was really killing me! But then a very cool section of downhill singletrack with rocks everywhere, switchbacks for a few miles. I actually rode this pretty well considering I was in oxygen debt, and my legs and arms were screaming with fatigue. A few dabs, no crashes, and no more dismounts. The descent which took 45 minutes to climb, took just a few minutes to descend. It was a chilly downhill, and my quads were burning so whenever I could sit for a couple seconds on a smooth section, I'd sit for a second,and then get back up. Into t1 2.5 hours later! glad that was over.


Fortunately the run is flat, just snaking around the woods near the transition area. Again I had no idea what to expect, as my hamstring/glute/hip adductor had kept me from any training for 8 days leading to the race. Not the best way to prepare for a race! It actually held up well, I think the lack of O2 slowed me down more than the legs or any small loss of fitness. I managed a slow run the whole 10k, and was just happy to be finished.

My friend Bev finished is national champion in 50-54, and she rocked! From Illinois, and manages the altitude like its sea level. Her time would have podiumed in almost every younger age group.

I felt sick after the race - very bad headache and a bit of nausea. 8 advil and 6 hours later and I felt more human again.

I don't really feel the need to go back to this race. I wish they could move the race from Tahoe to east cost each year so the altitude isn't such a factor. But they won't, so I probably won't go there again. I'm glad I went and know what it was like, but that race is not for me.

Now I'm taking off a couple weeks to let nagging injuries heal. I hope I can control my sweet tooth! Happy October! (my favorite month of the year)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go! You rock for going out there and getting it done!

Maggs said...

Brrr....that's all I can say.