Tuesday, October 28, 2008

it feels like winter! almost

This past weekend I rode on Saturday, temp around 40 degrees, windy, and cloudy. It was the first taste of winter riding for the year. I don't know why I always get wussy about riding in the winter, because I probably tend to stay warmer than most of the girls I ride with at colder temperatures.

Sunday is daylight savings, so its dark by the time I get home from work, so weekday rides are on the trainer, or I sneak a day off work when its nice to get outside for a free ride.

This winter I am making a pact that I will ride outside at least one day every weekend, unless the weather is absolute crap (ie, below 20, sleet, ice, snow...). Having the mountain bike option is helpful, because its way better to ride on the trails when its cold, than on the roads - less wind, lower speeds, but you still work just as hard. And the more I can work on my technical skills, the better!

I just hired a coach, and we start on Nov 1! I'm pretty excited to have someone helping me structure my training more specifically to my goals, and my strengths, weaknesses, my life. To that end, I also just became the proud owner of a new wireless Powertap! Yeah, I know I don't need one. But it will be a fun toy to train with on both the road bike and tri bike.

I wonder who it was that decided that the average work day should be 8 hours. I think 6 would be so much better. I can still get a lot of work done in 6 hours, but then I could still have some daylight hours to do something outdoors, even in the shortest days of winter.

I need to find some good dvd's to watch while riding the trainer this winter. Any recommendations?

1 comment:

Geoff said...

You should check out some of the training DVDs that CycleOps sells. They're all based on using a power meter, so you'll be able to maximize your training. They give you a really good workout and they're much more entertaining to watch than many other DVDs.