Sunday, July 27, 2008

Xterra DINO New Castle - 2peat!

Yeah, I won my first overall race of the year - the xterra series race in New Castle, IN. I won this race last year, so its my first official repeat win. Very exciting for me. As until I started racing xterra, I was never a contender for race wins. It feels pretty good. I am completely aware that its a small race, and there aren't any of the big guns from xterra here, but there were some girls who did travel from out of the region to give it a try. Funny that even though New Castle is only a 2 hour drive, I never made it up there to preride the course since the race there last year - and while it would be nice to preride and get a feel for the twists and turns, there is nothing technical, except the twists and turns, so I didn't feel concerned without a preride. Six of the guys from the Get-a-grip team in Chicago came down, so we had a good showing in numbers, and in results. The swim was uneventful, except when I hooked an arm around the rope on one buoy - that was just stupid - as I was in clear water, a couple people in front of me by a good 30 seconds, and I was swimming, very little sighting as I seemed to be swimming pretty straight. I saw the buoy coming up, and just cut it too close - doh! Quickly untangled, then out of the water, and I hear the announcer saying I was second female out of the water! What! Ack! I usually expect to be first out of the water at the DINO events - in fact, last year I was first person out of the water. Yes, first person, not first woman. Oh well, just chill, I tell myself. I caught Mary maybe 3 miles into the bike, and as I approached her I noticed she has these long thin legs, and I'm thinking she must be one of those people who can swim and run! So I better get a good lead on the bike. I pushed it until the last couple miles then eased off to settle down and save some energy for the run. As I was heading out of transition I hear them saying Bev was coming in! She made up time on me on the bike, but she and I had talked and I knew the run was going to be difficult for her, as she just pulled a calf muscle last weekend in a race, and she was just hoping to finish without making it worse. She is usually the main competition at these local xterras (she is in the 50-54 AG, but consistently kicks all the youngers girls butts - and she won Nationals and Worlds last year!), but there were a few new faces, like swimmer/runner Mary, and Emily from Terre Haute, so I was hoping I had a big enough gap, as it was hot and humid, and when I started running, the times I was in sun on the horse trails I felt horrible - not breathing well, just suffering a lot. Luckily its just a 4.2 mile run, and I just kept plugging away, and won by 4+ minutes.

Todd came to the race with me, and he always manages to place himself around so I can see him and hear him give me a big cheer. My parents also drove up from Cincinnati, and they got to enjoy an exciting morning in New Castle, IN. thanks mom and dad for coming up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wa to go! You rock!