Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Easy Speed

Its what I strive for when I swim - easy speed. How fast can I go with as little effort as possible. Swimming is the easiest of swim/bike/run to gain easy speed. Good technique will take you a long way, and 40 years of developing technique certainly pays off. I never thought of it much when I was a competitive swimmer, because we ALWAYS worked hard. Now as often lazy adult swimmer, I don't like to train swimming hard, so I'm always looking for the easy speed. Some days its there (last Friday), somedays its not (last night). When I was swimming last night and realizing I was not having a good swim, I tried to concentrate more on my stroke than usual, strong pull, finish, balance. It didn't help much, but at least I didn't cut the swm short. I also spent some time while I was swimming thinking about how I get easy speed on the bike and run. Bike - being aero, using gravity. But its not so easy on the run. I never have an easy run, sometimes good runs, never easy. I don't think I ever get easy speed on the run. Oh well - I'll keep working on it!

1 comment:

WarKitty said...

I dont' know that I ever find easy speed when swimming. I just have to settle in to a pace where I don't think "oh my goodness I'm going to run out of air before I can breath!" and pace it out.

Running though, I can catch some easy speed if there's a slight descent. Just let my legs go and allow gravity to pull me along just like I do on the bike. It isn't much, but it'll do.

Then again, I was never a competitive swimmer. All my swimming has been for fun and entertainment. Reckon that explains my slow swim times.