Wednesday, July 2, 2008

swimming is a beautiful thing to watch


I'm really enjoying the US swimming olympic trials. These people are so smoking fast. And it is a thing of beauty to watch how effortless they make swimming look. The men's 400IM the first night was incredible. Phelps and Lochte are heads and shoulders above the world. And that last turn by Phelps was amazing. Katie Hoff followed their race up with her own new world record.

Last night the 100 backstrokes were both incredible - my favorite event - when I was a swimmer and now as a spectator. Sad to see Hayley McGregory miss the team after setting a short lived WR, but that's what's so amazing about the US swim olympic trials. There is no committee making decisions on who goes and who doesn't. You have to do it in the one race that counts. No second chances.




Last night I had a swim workout. And I was happy to walk into the pool and see it set up SCY. So, I abandoned any workout that had anything to do with freestyle sets, and getting ready for a long tri swim, and I did IM's and strokes - 100's and 50's. And I had so much fun. I imagined during my measley 2 dolphin kicks off the wall on freestyle that I could imagine breaking off the wall like Michael Phelps does. I could pretend in my mind that my strokes were a thing of beauty, effortless and fast. They weren't, but I dreamed it. It was the best swim workout I've had in months.


Can't wait to watch Phelps in the 200fly tonight, and the gals battle it out in the 200IM.

No comments: