Monday, February 23, 2009

Rest Week! LOVE IT!

When I made up my own training schedules in previous years, or followed pre-written plans, I never felt the need for rest weeks. I never really felt that tired. Now that I have a coach writing my workouts every week, I need rest weeks. And I look forward to them. I guess that tells me that I wasn’t working very hard before.

What will I do this rest week?
Well, my legs should be feeling better by Wednesday from the smashing they took the past week. Yeah, I may not be the fastest athlete out there, and I may not log the most hours, or work the hardest, but for myself, I put in 4 really tough workouts in the past week, at the end of a 3 week block of good training, the running race on Saturday did me in. I have actually learned that when I try to run short fast races, I end up with more painfully sore muscles for a couple days after, than I do after a long race. Go figure!

I’ll try to stretch and loosen up a lot, work on some core strength, and I only have to swim twice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ll save water, because I won’t take a gazillion showers. And I won’t have loads and loads of laundry.

I won’t have to prepare myself for another 4 hour bike ride in cold windy weather. And maybe by the time the next weekend rolls around, the weather will be mildly warmer. The its daylight savings time, and we get more light in the evenings!

I could sleep in every day past 5am, if my dogs would let me (they won’t).

I will try out at least one new dinner recipe (done! Tried a new way to prepare salmon last night.)

I will try to stay away from the sweets, and not gain any weight.

I am also going to have Todd watch my running form, and figure out what I have to do to make it better. I spent decades working on my swim stroke, I should spend time on the run too.

On Sunday I’ll swim in my last masters meet of 2009, so I’ll visualize each race, and try to get the darn PR's this time! (PR for post college swimming, that is.)

4 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Enjoy your rest week! You and I must be on the same schedule... I am enjoying the down time too. Pushing through a short fast running race after 3 weeks of building - you are a stud!

Angela said...

I'm sure you'll have time to read a book as well! Enjoy the week "off."

Jennifer Harrison said...

Hee hee...REST weeks are the BEST and you earned it! :) ENJOY

Mis B. said...

Rest weeks are my absolute favorite!!! Although sometime they don't seem that easy, esp. if the 3 weeks preceding were crazy. You're going to have an even more awesome season this year! Let me know when y'all are ready for some rocks and mountains. I've been exploring the trails and roads and have some killer rides to share :)