Monday, February 16, 2009

For my Grandpa

My grandpa Z died in 1976, when I was 10 years old. Grandma and grandpa lived just a few miles from us, so I saw them frequently as I was growing up. Even though I was only 10 when he died, I have a lot of fond memories of him. He was a very tall man. He smoked a pipe, so he always had that sweet smell of pipe tobacco about him. I still think of him when I walk past someone who smells like pipe tobacco. He had a big chair in the living room that he’d sit in, and I’d climb up and sit with him and he’d make up stories for me. He had a vegetable garden, and I remember picking green beans, and snapping the ends off, I haven’t snapped a green bean since then. I had long hair, and he’d take me to the utility sink and wash it with the most yummy smelling shampoo, he’d shampoo and scrub, soap running down my eyes, then wrap up my head in a big towel. This is my favorite memory of him and me.

Grandpa also collected coins. He grew up during the depression, so he hid money in places in the house, instead of putting it in the bank. After he died, my mom and dad, and grandma searched air ducts and nooks and crannies trying to find it all. Not sure if they ever did. But they found plenty. Grandpa bought proof sets for the grandkids when he was alive. I still have them, plus a few other things from his collection. And now I collect some coins too. I never look for rare coins, that doesn’t really interest me. I like to collect coins from other far away places. Or coins that are pretty. Not exactly a coin collectors mentality. But I enjoy it. My most recent collection was the state quarters. I completed the book last week. I have all 50 states. They aren’t new uncirculated coins. Just every day quarters. But its my collection. And I dedicate it to my grandpa.


My favorites in the collection are:
Connecticut – this big beautiful branching tree, it looks just like the trees I used to draw as a child.
Mississippi - magnolias! What more do you have to say. They are beautiful.
Maine – I’ve always loved the look of light houses.
Wisconsin – because I think cows are the cutest!

No comments: