Saturday, February 7, 2009

first day at camp

I'm in Florida for a few days of summer camp. Well, its not summer camp, but it sort of feels likethat! The camp is hosted by Heather Gollnick , Jen Harrison, and Elizabeth Fedoskey. They are fast, funny, thoughtful. The day started with a light breakfast at a bike shop that has a coffee shop, similar to Bike & Bean in Bloomington, only this place has 3 big soft leather sofas, its a pretty cushy center for our activities. The guys at the shop checked our bikes the night before, so I didn't have to mess with trying to readjust the shifting after reassembling the bike after travel. We started with a short run - the fast girls missed the return trip turn, and ran a little extra, I didn't nmiss it and got back to Run2Fit where everyone got a gait analysis. I learned I can be wearing neutral shoes, not stability, and that I might want to try a lighterweight shoe for racing. We did some drills, some of the a little crazy, I cannot hop/run on one foot very well.Nextstop was a snack, and on the bikes. The first 30 mile loop was mellow, we regrouped 3 times. Then some of us road another loop, and we had a faster lap riding with Jen, Liz and Heather, and Jen Cunnane, who are fast, and it was great fun to ride with them. Next onto the pool. They videotaped everyone, and we had a small workout. The pool was outside, and while it was windy and mid 60's outside, the water was about 85. SO it felt good in the water, but I found it a little too warm to actually do a workout. But I enjoyed swimmig outside - Saturday will be a big change in the 56 degree ocean! ANyways, by now I was starving and desperately needed food, and had a giant plate of past aand seafood for dinner. Thet hit the spot, and something like 14 hours later I was ready for bed!

Now its Saturday morning, and we will start again. SOme interesting things about the other campers. Two went to school at IU, one of themm evengrew up in Cincinnati, and she was a swimmer, at Sycamore high school. Three of the women are from Louisville. Its a small world that we all ended up here at the same camp. I finally got to meet Jen in person, she is funny and confident and supportive. Its a great learning experience to listen to Heather, Liz, Jen, and Monica to talk about the ways they motivate themselves, how they handle difficult times during races, and simple strategies for coping with what a race can throw at you. Lots of great info today, and some great training in the sun. I got to ride my bike in shorts and a short sleeve jersey, andswim outdoors. in February! That's pretty exciting since I left home and it was 0 degrees (yeah, I know its warm up there this weekend too, but not quite warm enough toswim outside!). ok, I did get a little sunburn on my face. And I'll need an extra dose of chamois cream before todays ride, since I rode 60miles yesterday in trishorts without any, I'm a little tender today!

hope everyone at home is having fun. I miss Todd and Sam and Daisy and Junior (ok and Peanut, even though she pretty much keeps to herself). See you all Sunday night.

1 comment:

swimfin said...

It sounds like you are having a great time at camp. It makes me want to go to camp.