Friday, July 10, 2009

I’m getting a little (no, a lot) tired of the no dairy diet.

I’m on day 5, and I’m not really noticing any real difference in the state of my throat mucus/phlegm. It’s the same is it was yesterday, same as it was Sunday, same as it was last year, and the year before. So, no benefit yet, and I hate having to think so much about what I’m eating. No cheese. No butter. No yogurt, milk or ice cream. I popped an m&m in my mouth yesterday only to realize its MILK chocolate! And the last piece of banana bread I had left to eat – made with butter! And after a killer bike ride last night where Randi and Angela totally put the hurts to me, I wanted a tall cold glass of chocolate milk. I made chocolate ‘milk’ with my almond milk and hershey’s chocolate, and it tasted like dirt! Poor tasting chocolate milk is very disappointing. Chocolate is supposed to make everything taste better!

I popped over to the library at lunch and picked up the book ‘The Sinus Cure’, and this weekend I’m going to read up as much as I can on sinus issues, phlegm and throat mucus. It’s such a pleasant topic, I’m sure I’ll be completely enthralled with this reading selection. I did sneak a peek at when I came back to work, and it talks about papaya enzyme being a mucus thinner, so you know what I’ll be buying tonight!

I also picked up a book called ‘The Engine 2 Diet’. I didn’t pick it up because I’m going to switch my diet and follow it , because it sounds way to whacked for me. I need meat! But it was written by Rip Esselstyn, who was an Olympic swimming hopeful back in 1980. And when I was a young teen age group swimmer at Cincinnati Marlins, we had a dozen or so top Olympic hopefuls come to train with us that summer. It was quite a way to spend a few months, watching these world class athletes train, and prepare to attempt to qualify for the Olympics. Rip was one of the swimmers who came to our pool. Then he became a top triathlete, now he is a firefighter, and apparently a newly published author of this unusually named ‘diet’ book. I was just curious to see what he had to say.

So, my (mostly) non dairy diet rolls on through 5 days. I’ll give it another week. But I’m also going to be trying other remedies, so how will I know what works, if something actually works? Hmmmmmm, dunno! I guess I’ll cross that path if I actually come to it.

In the meantime, I have to go clean my lunch dishes that are sitting here at my desk, because as much as I like tuna, I don’t think I can tolerate smelling it the rest of the afternoon.

4 comments:

Maggs said...

I'm on the no wheat/gluten thing for my asthma. I didn't think it was helping, then I had a lot of wheat, and well, I had a major attack while swimming, after taking my inhaler. Sucks that it works, because I love cake.

Angela said...

Keep going, Cheryl. 5 more days and you'll have a more definitive answer! (Easy for me to say, I know.) In the mean time, another breakfast suggestion is pancakes using soy milk instead of regular milk. Even I like them.

Kathy said...

Sorry about the dairy. I really like dairy, esp. chocolate milk.

WarKitty said...

When I first realized I had, shall we say "issues" with wheat, I didn't go totally gluten free. It took a bit to realize the benefits because frankly I was still getting some gluten in my diet and hence still got sick.

Once I actually stopped cheating and gave it a few weeks, the change was there.