Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Dairy Free Day 2

Is also Day 4 of TDF (another exciting day of bike racing in France)
And is also Day 1 of US Swimming Nationals , which are also the World Championships Trials ( a week of fast swimming just up the road in Indianapolis)
How will I get any work done with all this going on!

Well, I survived day 1 of no dairy. Wait, I may have slipped just a little. I had a left over piece of birthday cake (from the best bakery in the world), and I’m thinking that butter was probably used in the making of said cake and frosting. But, I’m giving myself an A- for effort yesterday, because that was the only slip I had, no major crash.

I hit the grocery last night. I had to get more things for lunch at work. Usually I bring half my lunch to work, and go to one of 4 places for part of my lunch (bagel shop, burrito place, deli, and a pasta place). Unfortunately at each of those places, my normal order involves CHEESE! OUCH! I did pick an alternative at the bagel shop yesterday of chicken salad, and it was quite good. For a minute I had to think if mayo was dairy, the girl behind me assured me its just eggs and oil. Now at home I have fixins for my own tuna salad. I made it this morning, and OMG, Junior (cat who thinks he’s a dog, and only comes home for food and a dry place to sleep) went absolutely bonkers. I don’t think he has ever had tuna, at first he just smelled it finicky like, then gobbled it up, then I couldn’t keep him off the counter, off the cutting board (carrots and celery) and out of the bowl with the tuna. He was a MONSTER. The dogs stood pathetically by watching his antics, wondering why he got to be up on the counter, and they were on the floor. Well, Junior was on the floor, every 5 seconds, after I threw him down. But then he’d jump right back up. This went on and on and on. All I can say is it took way too long to make some basic tuna salad!

Eating out less at lunch is going to be a little sad, maybe after I get over the 10 day hump, and figure out if the dairy thing is a go or no go, I’ll be able to give myself a little more time to find new things at my favorite spots.


I’m wondering if I’ll give in to the temptation of getting a chocolate chip cookie at the bagel shop tomorrow. Wednesdays I always get a cookie (well, only if they are perfectly undercooked, and filled with double chocolate chips, which they often are). But I know they are made with butter. Damn the butter. Why does it also have to be a dairy product? Not that I put butter on anything (well, maybe cinnamon raisin bagel), but it’s used to make things (ok, bakery goods, yeah, I should just give them up too).

Of course this morning when I woke up, my brain immediately said ‘hey, the mucus and phlegm is gone!’ Of course it isn’t after just one day, and probably no different, but my mind is trying to will myself to believe it. I’ll withhold judgement for another week.

Looks like Astana is crushing the Team Time Trial.

3 comments:

Mis B. said...

I always liked the hummus a tune bagel at the BBC or a cinnamon raisin with PB. Laughing Planet has a ton of dairy free options (basically everything and the hemp cheese is really good!) B-foods has some grab & go items that are dairy free. If you do have to try gluten-free, let me know; I've got lots of suggestions and experience :).

Cats are crazy for tuna. My little Zi-Zi cat has got more finicky and only likes the white albacore tuna now; even if I wasn't vegan, I don't think she would save any for me :)

Good luck with your dairy-free adventure; cutting out dairy made all the difference for me! (And thank goodness Purely Decadent and Good Karma brand ice creams exist--both of which are also gluten free!)

- Melissa

Alisa said...

That pic from your previous post is too funny!

Try making some gooey chocolate chip cookies at home! If you need a recipe, let me know, I think I can help. Beware of those bakery ones (including cookies, cake, etc.) as they often use chocolate chips with milk, and they may use milk, buttermilk or derivatives in sweets.

Yep, mayo is a go. Just eggs and oil. I have yet to meet a mayo that wasn't dairy-free, but it could happen.

Good luck!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Oh, I totally didn't even think about cookies (duh!).....:) I hope you are noticing a little difference, Cheryl !