Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Its not easy being a lean mean fighting triathlon machine…

After New Orleans I knew I’d have to get serious about my nutrition, and get rid of my winter blubber, if I wanted to give myself my best chance to qualify for Clearwater. So I gave myself a couple days of downtime, no training (thank you Jen), eat my favorite foods (chocolate, chocolate ice cream, bbc chocolate chip cookies, pizza), and then I cleaned out the refrigerator and cupboards, and sat down and had a talk with myself. I said to myself ‘self, if you really want to qualify for Clearwater, you have to do more than just do each workout. You have to do each workout to the best of your ability, and you have to take care of what you are putting into your body’.

So, now I’ve been almost a week on the new improved nutrition plan. I’ve cut wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back on my sweets (which is my biggest downfall, as you can tell from my favorite foods list). And trying to up the protein and fat, cut down the carbs, eat 7+ fruits and veggies per day. So far so good. All winter I told myself, you have no will power. Why can’t you stop eating 10 mini reese’s cups after lunch. One will suffice! But nooooooooooooo. I couldn’t have just one, it had to be 5 or 6 or 7. But now I want more out of myself. So, once I actually decided I was going to commit to this for the rest of the season and give myself the best chance I have at my races, its not been that hard. Hopefully I can keep it going.

Then , ironically, this morning, Elizabeth’s blog talks about some of this. What I am taking away from her thoughts are that all winter I wanted to eat my chocolate, and enjoy those favorite foods. But, that’s all it was. It was what I wanted to be doing. Now I really want to have the best race season I can have. And the wants of chocolate and ice cream, will be replaced with the want to race fast. And I can do it. Jen’s workouts are awesome, and I love having her guidance and planning and expertise, and I have do my part by following the plan, believing in it(which I do), and fueling myself properly. All of these things I want to do. And I’m committing to the last one now. It’s the hardest for me, but they say if you can do something for 20 days, then you can make it a habit. So, here’s to making a better healthier me!

5 comments:

heather said...

i will make you a mini - hoho cake for your bday -- 1/4 of the size!! something to look forward to!!

Maggs said...

This is a lesson I learned last year (though it hasn't sunk in enough to be remembered this year). A trick I used was that I could eat whatever i wanted on Sunday after my workouts...but I weighed myself on Monday so I usually skipped any junk food because I knew I would see it on the scale the next day. It worked great and I lost a ton of weight and had fantastic workouts. Now if eat junk my workout suffer and I hate that more than carrying around 5-10 extra pounds.

Melissa said...

Wow, there must be something in the air, I was just thinking about nutrition too! Your blog entry is great, and you have a good attitude about what you want to for having an awesome season.

Peanutbutter cups are the devil.

Angela said...

I've heard brushing your teeth or drinking water at the time of your craving can help curb it. Good luck and may we all find the same willpower.

Sherry said...

Great post! Seems like many of us are thinking about this right now.