Saturday, April 25, 2009

icky la boom ba

when I was a swimmer in college, way back in time, 20 years ago, one of our cheers went like this:
leader: icky la boom ba (softly)
team: icky la boom ba (softly)
leader: icky la picky wiki (softly)
team: icky la picky wiki (softly)
leader: awful a dawful waffle (softly)
team: awful a dawful waffle (softly)
leader: oooh aahh (softly)
team: oooh aahh (softly)
repeat LOUDLY

what's the significance of some completely nonsensical string of sounds. NOTHING! Except today on my long ride that popped into my brain. I'm quite sure I have not thought of that since I was in college, but yet there I was riding out in the middle of Green County, by myself, singing icky la picky wiki (note that I spelled wicky - wiki- in homage to the computer nerd terminology) to myself. over and over. It was making me CRAZY! I think it was the wind howling through the hollers whistling strange tunes to my brain that triggered it.

The ride didn't start out alone. Randi was with me, and we picked a route south and west, so we'd get the awesome tailwind on the way home. We were chatting away, talking about bikes, dogs, the little 500 women's race that was yesterday, whatever pops into the mind. Randi and I are generally happy on the hills, but today we cursed aloud when we went up up up, and the wind blew in our faces, laughing at us, mocking us to keep asking for more. ANd we did, we kept riding, and the plan was for a few new roads, and when we saw our first 'new' road, that spit straight off the country highway we were on, it went straight up. UhOh. Not even 25 yards up the hill, both of us out of the saddle, we hear a snap, I thought she dropped a chain. Nope. Not so lucky. SHe cracked a rcank arm in half! WTF! How does that happen? So, we turn around and coast down the hill, and the tailwind in this direction blows us down the flat about 150 yards, I love not pedalling. SHe called for SAG support, and she was in a good spot, getting a little vitamin D (ie, sun), and I headed back up the hill. So steep. OUCH. My speed was 5mph. Did I say ouch? Over the top, and a long gradual downhiull into a valley, around a bend, and the road turns to shit! gravel as far as I can see - which was a few hundred yards. So, I turn around, and back up the hill (tail wind), and fly down the steep side and just tell Randi I was checking on her. She wasn't sunburned yet. SO I head back out onto the country highway for the painful solo ride into the wind. An hour later I finally hit a small gas station, need more fluid. They had pepsi, coke, and snapple, and cream and grape soda. I opted for the grape soda since I had a small amount of grape gatorade in one bottle, just topped it off with soda, downed the rest, and was on my way again. Slightly over 2 hours it was time to make the turn northeast, and there was that awesome tailwind! ANd I was just supposed to be in zone 2 now, so I was coasting and cruising , even up small hills. Only when I hit the first big hill did I have to really amp up the effort. Midway up the hill, I could something scampering across the road, my first turtle sighting (on a road) of the spring. He was hauling ass (for a turtle) and this was bascially a deserted road, so I didn't feel like I had to move him to the side, not to mention I would have never gotten back on my bike and going again in the middle of that hill. Passing a few limestone quarries on the way back into town. I glance down into them, seeing water crystal clear, thinking how great it would be to go for a little swim, and remembering the quarry scene from Breaking Away (more Little 500 images). ok, no swimming today (or any day in the quarries for that matter - they are all private property and ot open to public). I get to scream down another hill by the last quarry, and at the bottom sharp left turn, I squeeze the brakes, and there is a giant wild turkey standing in the middle of the road just looking at me. I give him a cluck cluck, and think I am such a dork, and push on home.

chocolate milk is down the hatch, and oh so welcome in my belly and in my muscles, and I feel better. A cool shower, to rinse off the 80 degree heat induced sweat. And then raisin bread french toast and maple bacon! mmmmm mmmmm good!

Now I'm chillaxin on the patio (in the shade), dogs on either side of me, I think I need to shop (windows shop, that is). Its been some time, and I think I need a few things. No, not a new swimsuit! Not that I wouldn't like a new one, but the last time my mom was here a few weeks ago, she said she counted mine and I had 28 suits hanging (that means they are in my current rotation) and I guess that's enough for now.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow, snapped a crank arm! Yikes!

Angela said...

Sounds like an awesome ride. I'm almost glad I missed it. I'm going to start calling Randi Ms. Power.

swimfin said...

Can't believe you remember that cheer!

Daniel frisbie said...

Did u used to swim at Saddlebrook? In Marietta?