Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mojo

It’s easy to lose your mojo. Shit happens and before you know it, its gone. In Arizona (10 days ago) I had 3 really good solid days of training. I did have a bike crash (which was a bit detrimental to my shoulder, and I have been in denial about). Then I flew home in the big metal germ box and got sick. And then I didn’t give myself enough time to recover from the long AZ training, the bike crash and the sickness. Since I’ve been back I have had one fair workout, then 2 bad ones. Then repeat. Finally this morning I admitted I was in need of more recovery. I’m tired of being tired. Tired of coming up short in workouts. Tired of feeling like a complete slacker. Tired of dreading each workout because I feel like crap and am afraid it’s going to be another failure.

So, the shoulder thing. When I crashed I landed on my shoulder first. I was quite sure nothing was broken, but it wasn’t right. Its been uncomfortable, not painful, to lift it up (sideways, front, back). That’s a small problem for swimming. I could swim, I was favoring the shoulder, trying not to put a lot of pressure into it. Then this morning I got out of bed, sat down on the toilet, and snap, crackle, pop! The shoulder was back where it was supposed to be! Hallelujah! Its almost like I had a mild dislocation, if that’s possible, and now I can lift the arm like normal. I am sooooooooo happy. I think I got like 30% of my mojo back just by sitting down (on the toilet!). That’s pretty darn awesome.

Now, I just need some snap, crackle and pop to come back to my legs. And my energy levels.

A few lessons learned:
->try not to crash my bike
->when I am sick (that was the first time I've been sick in over a decade), make sure I'm recovered from it before I attempt workouts
->pay more attention to what your body is telling you than what you let your mind tell you (I can't let what other people post on facebook and blogs make me feel inadequate about how I'm training or not training)


Then I can say my mojo is back.

7 comments:

Molly said...

Yay for being on the path to getting your mojo back! Sooooo glad to hear your shoulder has popped back to normal. I hope you rest up and feel raring to go soon!

GoBigGreen said...

Oh Cheyl...I totally get it for ALOT of reasons, some of it is weather related. It was 32 today when i got up, um not good for an outdoor ride! As for the shoulder, you sound like me! I actually get my shoulder "placed" ( no it does not hurt) back into alignment when i need to. Or i do it myself in the doorway:) And tho it is sore afterwards in 24 hrs i am good to go.
Hang in there. I am in the same place, kinda in that "why am i doing this?" mode.

Ange said...

I'm so relieved to hear your shoulder poppped back into place...while on the toilet! (that's funny..) While reading thsi I was worried ...I had a bike crash and my shoulder was wrecked--torn rotator cuff. Ugh.SO SO SO GLad yours is behaving now! I had no idea you hurt it that much when you fell!!!
and you hadn't been sick in 10 yrs!? wow. VERY impressive.
We all lose our mojo at times..no doubt about that!!!
I'm so glad you're feeling better now..here's to some great workouts this week!

Running and living said...

I think it is hard at times to stick to what you know works for you, when others are training more, faster, longer, etc, etc. We are all competitive and it is so easy to think "I should be doing more". I have to keep myself on check with that (as well as with always running faster than my last tempo/speed/long run!). Glad the shoulder is better, and the mojo is almost back!

Sherry said...

Ok girl, it is mojo round up time. I found mine again and I bet in a few days (maybe even a good, relaxing week) yours will find you too!

Good news about your shoulder... but OUCH! I've never dislocated anything, but it looks terribly painful. All of that popping back-in. Yikes! That's why I don't go to the chiropractor. Too much 'crackling' noise!

Take good care of yourself!

Melissa said...

Wow...wow...wait a minute. You haven't been sick in over a decade? AND you work for a university? You must have some crazy awesome immune system ;-)

Glad you are getting the mojo back and feeling better. Without some downs, the ups wouldn't be as exciting.

GetBackJoJo said...

Oh! Good about the shoulder! Glad to hear it is back where it should be!
It's SO hard to listen to your body, esp. if you feel like your body should be responding differently. After a little rest the MOJO will come back.