Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Book review: 'Making toast : a family story'

Making toast : a family story
By Roger Rosenblatt
I heard an interview of Roger Rosenblatt on the PBS newshour a couple months ago. He is a write, and a regular contributor to the Newshour. He was talking about the sudden death of his 38 year old daughter. And how that day changed his life. He and his wife moved in with his son-in-law and three grand children. He wrote this book about the year since they moved in. Its touching. And funny. Stories of his interactions with young grandchildren who call him Boppo (in fact their whole school now calls him Boppo!). He had wanted to be called El Guappo by his grandchildren (he explains why in the book), but they couldn’t pronounce it, Boppo stuck. Interwoven with memories of his daughter. It makes you appreciate the fragility of life, and the need to embrace it.


any book recommendations out there? my stack is dwindling and the holds I have at the library aren't coming in very quickly.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Hmmm, that could be a good one to pick up!

Right now my reading mostly consists of how to make crying babies quiet. But I am listening to a new audio book. I like to do that when I'm cleaning and doing house stuff, so they aren't super awesome pieces of literature, but are just entertaining. So with that big disclaimer, I'll tell you I'm currently listening to "The 9th Judgement" by James Patterson. So far so good.

Sherry said...

As a kid/teen/young adult, I was absolutely hooked on thrillers. They were all that I would read. As an adult, I find myself looking for stories that inspire and move me emotionally. It's amazing how we grow... and continue to grow. We come to appreciate the little things in life. Lately I've found myself thinking about my mother's hands and how my hands resemble her hands. :o)

Anyway, right now I'm reading Lance Armstrong's It's Not About the Bike. It's an old book and a very easy read, but incredibly inspiring (even if you aren't a Lance fan).

GoBigGreen said...

Oh have you read any of the Garth Stein books? Or if you like mystery the Girl with the dragon tatoo, or the girl who played with fire? AWESOME!!!

and...

I am in your AG so you can lead me out in the swim:)
Cant wait for KS! Lets chat soon about logistics, I know JC cant go now., Boo!

GoBigGreen said...

Wait, that sounded pretty self centered! our 40-44 AG is tough. I just want to survive so i can move up to 45-49. You have alot ahead, and i know your training is geared to KY, so It will be an honor to race beside you in a month!

swimfin said...

Have you read Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese? Also, his two non fiction books he wrote about 10 years ago are also awesome.