Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How old do you have to be before you stop having dumbass attacks?

Well, at least 43. I’ve been feeling pretty crummy for the past month. I’ve been writing it off to spring allergies, they have been particularly bad here in Btown. The early warm weather, very little rain (it keeps going around us), and lots of wind has kept the allergy practice here in town hopping. In 2001 I was diagnosed with allergies and asthma (exacerbated by exercise). I tried a few meds then, but nothing really seemed to help much, and I was not very motivated to train hard, and I was not racing then, so I kind of gave up on trying to manage my symptoms. Doesn't everyone have allergies and asthma, I thought?

Fast forward 5 years. I bought a mountain bike, and fell in love with it. I started to ride a lot, and then I raced an xterra, was hooked. Raced more xterra, and thought I should race on the road too since I couldn’t always ride the trails. After a couple of years of just training with little direction and not a huge amount of intensity (which meant I didn’t have to manage the asthma much) I hired a coach. And she started to have me run fast (gasp!). And ride fast (gasp!). And, shit, she even made me swim fast!(triple gasp). SO for a year I tried my best, I did what I could, had some decent results. Still managing my breathing (or lack of it) just by monitoring my effort.

Now, April 2010, and for a month I’ve been struggling with my workouts. I thought it was just me losing my mojo. I’d occasionally have an OK workout but no great workouts. Last Friday I was doing a run around the stadium, and I hit a new max HR – I haven’t seen that number since I was in my 20’s. But the bad thing was that with that HR, on a flat half mile course, my pace was slow. And my oxygen intake was barely existent. And I had this thick sticky mucus that I couldn’t even spit out of my mouth – I had to pull it out with my fingers. I pretty much just wanted to die. I felt like I was, and I said that when I passed a woman I know who was running there too. After the run, she asked me if I was ok , because she said I sounded awful when I went past her, and that I should see a doctor for the asthma. Hmm, I thought, yeah, she is right, what have I been waiting for.

SO, finally after a month of being a dumbass and feeling like crap, I saw a doctor!
I had an appointment this morning with an asthma/allergy doc. Turns out I have a sinus infection! Which I’m going to hopefully clear up with antibiotics. And I’m allergic to all the outdoor allergens (pollen, grass, mold), and dander (but I’m not getting rid of my pups!). I’m going to start taking an allergy med. (thankfully, I am NOT allergic to dairy! Oh that would be so sad to be allergic to dairy). I also have asthma, that is made worse when I exercise. So now I will try an inhaler. And As noted above, I have the most disgusting thick mucus/post nasal drip in my throat. So, new nasal spray to try to take care of that.

Oh yeah, I also have to carry an epi-pen now! We’ll see how that goes. Last fall I was running on a trail alone. I was stung by a small swarm of bees. My arms and legs swelled and itched and tingles, I couldn’t breathe. I was 20 minutes from my car. I ran scared for my life back to it. Somehow managed to get home, and took prednisone and benadryl that I had for one of the dogs. Now who knows what reaction I might have to my next sting, so as a precaution I’m supposed to carry that. It will take some getting used to.

So, now I feel better, not physically, yet. But mentally. I have a plan of action to get myself better. I hope it works. I have to be an ironman this August!

Speaking of ironman, for the past week I’ve been wondering what I’m going to wear for the swim at IM Louisville, because that new WTC rule is making swim skins illegal. And not that I want to wear a swim skin, but I am a swimmer. And as a swimmer, when coach wanted to make us really hurt, we’d wear a drag suit – that is, a suit with pockets to catch the water and drag your ass down. So, for IM, my favorite Desoto 400mile shorts have a pocket right in the center of the back, and as a swimmer, I will NOT race in a drag suit. SO, I thought I’d be buying an old school speedo knee length suit to just wear over to cover up the pocket (plus pockets in the top), but I re-read the rule, and it doesn’t take effect until Sept 1. Lou is on Aug 29! I’m safe.

Now, come on drugs, do your thing and make me better!

7 comments:

mjcaron said...

I can see you running for your life.. I was cracking up.. Sorry :)..

What a relief to have figured out the problem.

GoBigGreen said...

Oh Cheryl! So sorry about this. I can only relate bc my senior year in highschool i was "sick" all the time, not sick like stay at home but felt icky, tired, not right. Finally we had me tested for allergies and same as you exactly! Dust, ragweed, pollen, grass, trees, mold....etc...And at the time i was playing softball ( a lifelong sport, hahaha) and that is nonstop cornfields and dust in MN!
It will get better, I know it will and just know that YES alot of us DO have allergies and sometimes they are BAD and sometimes they are just SO-So. I know i should go see me MD but she freaks me out sometimes with all the stuff she wants to give me!
Hang in there, glad you are gonna get some relief!

Jennifer Harrison said...

I just knew something was soo wrong....but we didn't know...so i am so glad you got a plan and the DR is giving you some meds. I can NOT believe you have been trying to train thru a sinus infection. EEKS.

PS Yes, you have until 9/1 for the skin suits! :)))

FEEL BETTER!!! you will!

GetBackJoJo said...

I''m so glad you figured out the problem. But yuck! (and of course you won't get rid of the dogs!!!! :)
I was worried about that swim skin rule too, until I figured out it wasn't in effect yet. I am doing FL 70.3, and it's a non-wetsuit race.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

I am so happy you are getting this thing figured out!! I got your email and have been so excited to hear about how the first week is going. Will you also take allergy shots? It WILL make a big difference, it has for me in the last 6 months (*fingers crossed*). Even better, you will get this all figured out in time for your IM, you have plenty of time to build up immunities and be at your best!

Running and living said...

I have been plague with sinus infections for years, until I learned about the neti pot; I now clean my sinuses at the littlest sign of trouble, and have been sinus infection free for years. I heard it works for allergies, too!

Angela said...

Dumbass attacks can happen at any age. Sorry. I don't think this one qualifies, though, given some of my recent moments.