Monday, August 3, 2009

Two weekends ago, I was supposed to race xterra Versailles. But the week leading up to the race it was rainy, and in the early morning of the race, torrential rains dumped inches of water on the trails. One segment of trail, had only been completed one week prior, so without weeks (and months) of bike traffic to pack the dirt, the trails were just too soft to withstand the onslaught of the water. The race was postponed one week. Then this Thursday night another few inches of rain dumped, and the trails were even worse, another postponement. Rain has really put a damper on trail riding and racing in Indiana this summer. But Versailles is 2 hours away, and here in Btown,we only had a trace of rain, so the girls (and Charlie) headed down to the Hoosier National Forest Saturday morning for a mtb ride. Charlie got to laugh at a lot of girl chatter on the drive over. These trails require purchase of a tag to ride on them, and as we crossed a road section to a new trail, there was a sign saying 'survey ahead'. I couldn't imagine what kind of survey was happening on a Saturday morning out in the middle of nowhere, Charlie and I just dumped onto the trail before the sign, and a few minutes later stopped when we realized Ang and Randi weren't behind. A few minutes later they showed up saying the tobaccy chewing ranger at the survey sign made them show him their purchased tag. Good thing I skipped right past him, as my tag had fallen off somewhere on the trail (lesson- just put the tag in the camelback, instead of relying on the adhesive to keep it on the bike handlebar!). On the way home, Ang entertained us with her impersonation of the tobaccy chewing ranger. It was a good ride!

Kirkwood on a Sunday morning


Sunday, we (just the girls), headed out on the road for a long easy ride. 25 miles from home I thought 'oops, maybe I shouldn't have had that piece of chocolate cake last night', as I heard this dingdingdingdingdingdingdingding and came to a stop to find I broke a spoke! oops. The bike and I made it home , a slight wobble to the wheel, but no crashes, and it should be a simple repair. At one food/potty stop, we sang a happy birthday song (to the tune of we wish you a Merry Christmas) to Louise, and then on the road outside of Hindustan (close enough) we sang again to Angela’s father in law. Angela and Randi have special talent for music. They can break out into song for any tune from the 70’s forward, and they weren’t even alive then! And they sound good! And they know all the words! Anyways, it was a glorious sunny day , perfect for a ride, when we started, with the wind out of the northwest, we headed north. We were happy to finish the last hour heading southeast, with a nice tail wind, pushing us along, making the chatter (and the birthday song) that much easier. We saw lots of bike riders out yesterday, southern Indiana loves to ride bikes!
cute little church on the ride


the girls



One hour at home, and I was off to work at the Indiana Senior State swim meet. Saw a few good swims, none as good as the Phelps-Cavic 100m fly at the World Championships. I will vote that one as the best swim race I have ever watched.

Then to the grocery store, and it must have been the high week of the blueberry picking season last week because they were selling huge containers of them for $3. This morning I have a cottage cheese container half full of them topped with yogurt. Mm mm good.

And I had a few extra minutes on my ride into work, so as I cruised through campus, I snapped a few photos. I’m so lucky to get to live here, it really is a beautiful little town.


Fountains in front of music school



Hogey Charmichael sculpture in gardens between library and music school



mermaid fountain


Little chappel on campus


clock


union building - cool slate roof, typical limestone building.



Sample Gates:



what a beautiful campus!

3 comments:

Angela said...

Go IU! Just sayin'.

Sherry said...

Sounds like you ride with a GREAT group! All of that 'breaking into songs from the 70s'... I would fit right in! LOL!

I feel you pain in regards to soggy trails. I MISS my trails.... especially to run on. They are all completely out of comission until our rainy season is over, though. Boo-hoo! One of my goals for this winter is to do MORE trail running (and riding)... MUCH more of it!

Great pics!

Gearing up for Augusta! Can't wait to see you!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

That is such a bummer that race was canceled! Some day, if I get enough guts I will have you teach me how to ride (not fall off of) a mountain bike. And, of course GO IU!!!! Cannot wait to make it to B-town soon for bike ride/hang out and catch up on sights around campus.