Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bob Knight


Indiana loves to hate Bob Knight, and hates to love Bob Knight. They just announced he is being inducted into the Indiana Athletics Hall of Fame. Boy I can hear the cheers and boos already! Despite all his flaws, he had a lot of good in him, and he did a lot of good at IU, most of which people will never know, because so much of it had nothing to do with basketball but with people, academics, libraries, students... In all the years he lived in Bloomington, while I also lived here, I only saw him in public one time, at a movie. He and his wife were sitting in the back of the theater, just normal people out for a movie date. Not biggger than life. Just living life.

Life here in Bloomington is going to change dramatically in the next few days as 35000 students return to our small town. The doubling of our population makes me appreicate the times like my bike ride with Randi yesterday where we were out in the country side, in the state forest with trees towering over us, in the farm land surrounded by 8 feet high corn, just two girls on bikes, pushing each other up a monster hill, enjoying the lush green surrounding us every direction we could see - even over head. It was a fabulous ride, especially after having two rough weeks, and a big rest week. I feel like my body is back, and ready for a few good weeks of training.

This morning I got to run on the trails. I picked my favorite trail down by the lake. No dogs this run, its been too hot, and no water in the streams, so it was just me and the trees, and a few nasty spider webs that wrapped themselves around my face - ICK! I heard one tree fall, and saw it smash into the ground down the hill, and it made me think of the saying 'does a tree make a sound when it falls if there is no one to hear it?' well, of course it does. That's such a stupid saying. I just LOVE running on the trails. One hour on a trail seems like 30 minutes on the road. Two hours on a trail like one hour on the road. Trails ROCK!


Someday I will hava a small house on a lake in a forest, and I will wake up and run or walk through the forest, and swim in my lake, and smile at my fortune of being able to live in a place so simple and beautiful.

2 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Ahhh! bob Knight... I watched him at a game once taunt the students (reprimand them) for throwing pennies onto the floor during a game - boy was he mad!! You rock trail running girl... watched you in FL and you had incredible balance! Gear up for Augusta, its right around the corner!

Angela said...

YES! Trails rock. My only Bob Knight sighting was also at a movie. Welcome back from rest week.