Monday, August 17, 2009

Climbing out of a hole



One week ago I was wrapping up 3 good weeks of training, did a race with very steep long quad/calf busting hills (turned out to be a duathlon which was even worse), followed by a long run the next day with the last 30 minutes hard, and my body rebelled. For 2 days I had trouble walking, on a scale of 1 to 10, my muscle pain hovered around 10 for 48 hours, then slowly improved. But even though the pain was gone, my body was just worn out. I had dug the hole and was not climbing out quick enough, even with a lower volume/intensity rest week. So, being the smart one that I am, I still raced on Saturday, as pitiful as I was (because I HAD to get my 3rd xterra in for the season for the points race). But yesterday I had a day off – on a weekend – I can’t remember the last time I took a day off on a weekend! And now I have HUGE rest week. I will be a super rester, and be ready to go for my next race at the end of September.

What will I do with a HUGE rest week? Well, I’ll sleep, I'll rest, and I'll try not to overeat. I’ve also been having restless leg syndrome this week when I go to bed. I've been sleeping in compression shorts and socks to try to give the muscles a different feel. I eventually fall asleep. I'd like to get past that RLS also. Hopefully I can get a massage this week and claw my way back out of this hole!

7 comments:

Jennifer Harrison said...

YES, be a good girl! :)) Compression socks on, massage, relaxing and chilling! ENJOY! Then, we gooo again!

Angela said...

YAY! Rest week. The animals will love it.

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Rest week! I love it, I am right there with you now and I am feeling tired! I am sure you will start to feel better soon. RLS? I used to have it, when crazy sleep schedule with 3 little kids but it might also have something to do with feeling like you are in a hole. Mine always acts up when I am overtired. Long hot baths before bed help me a lot with it.

WarKitty said...

I always get RLS when overtired and overworked. Hope you get enough rest that it goes away quickly!

Sherry said...

Great week, girl! Woo-hoo! Hope you are enjoying your R&R week. My God, I love R&R week!

I'm thinking about including a wee XTerra race in my schedule for next year. Of course, I don't have a Mtn. bike, so that may be a problem. LOL! Nevertheless, I think it would a LOT of fun and right up my alley! I'll keep ya posted!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

Thanks, Cheryl! I am really VERY hopeful about the Cobb saddle. I figure that something has got to give eventually. Of course, I now have a lovely saddle depot in my garage... I'm sure you know all about that. LOL!

XTerra Miami! Oh Boy! You've got me SUPER excited! I'm going to have to take a really close look at that one. It looks like it would fit oh-so-nicely into the schedule. First up... mountain bike purchase! Ha! Good grief, my hubby is going to divorce me!