Wednesday, May 20, 2009



Yesterday I had the privilege of helping to build a habitat for humanity house. Every year, in Monroe County one hundred plus women come together from various origins (schools, church groups, employers, friends, book clubs…) , raise money and then build a house for a family. This year, the group raised over $100,000. And they will build a house in 10 days. All women, only women (ok, there are a few men that are hired out to do the foundation, plumbing, wiring, and dry walling), but women do the rest of the house, and they do it in one week. Some of these women have never used a hammer. But this is a great opportunity to learn. And everyone does. What a great way to give back to your community, learn some new (and potentially) useful skills, and meet a lot of amazing women! I am truly thankful that I have had the opportunity to work on these houses, and think that as I get older, and have more free time, this is how I will spend more of my time.

If you have never worked on a habitat house, but thought you might want to try it, just do it!

2 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

That's so great you do this!!! I had to laugh when you admitted that at least a few men do some of the jobs... I am sure they love hanging out with 100 women!! I might even be inspired now to try and do this locally, maybe even with my kids? Thanks for sharing!

Maggs said...

Habitat for Humanity is my favorite charity. In high school my youth group spent a week each summer working on houses in some rural area. It was a blast and really eye opening.