Saturday, March 21, 2009

what to eat on a long bike ride?

of course, you start off with gatorade (or whatever your sports drink of choice is), water, your energy bars, gels, chewy gummy things...

But after a few hours, you stop at a little general store in some little town in the Indiana countryside, and your stomach starts to tell your brain it wants something different. Something that just tastes yummy, that will make your stomach smile.

Today we stopped at a little IGA store in Morgantown, IN. Hmmm, First think I saw was the hostess foods. Yes, I know most people over age 10 do not eat Hostess, but this over 10 year old does (on bike rides). There were no hohos! No cherry pie! ok, well, move on down the line. Next was some easter candy, I mulled that over, and chocolate just didn't seem like it was what I wanted. Then I spotted some freshly cooked glazed donuts! Yep, that is what my stomach wanted. 2 of them. Hit the spot (for a while).

It got me thinking what are my favorite non-nutritionally training-stupid foods that I like to eat during a long rides:

on a hot day, I LOVE a frozen coke, or an icee. I usually have an insulated bottle
on hot summer days, so I just fill it with a frozen treat!

ice cream sandwiches and popsicles are also another favorite on a hot day

hohos are my all time favorite for any time of year

hostess cherry pies are also near the top of the list.

fresh peaches and plums and grapes in summer at a roadside stand- YUM!!! (that's better' isn't it? see I don't just eat junk!)

now, I'm sitting here contemplating what kind of snack I get to eat tonight. I suppose I should come up with something healthy. Maybe I can split the difference between the healthy and unhealthy and make some banana bread.

and..................... Go BOILERS!!!!!! on to the sweet 16!

2 comments:

heather said...

nutter butters and fig neutons are my food of choice -- with a pepsi. kenny loves the donuts -- they're his pre-race food...seriously.

Kathy said...

Twinkies or Dolly Madison snack cakes. I like a freezing cold Pepsi as well.