Thursday, March 12, 2009

LMAO

A week ago when I saw the swim workout Jen gave me for last night, I was LMAO! It was a set of 100's free, descending intervals, alternating with a 200im. Now the last time I did this set, it was challenging, the last few 100's on 1:10, but the 200 IM's were easy/recovery, I don't even think they had an interval, so I just swam them and started the next 100 after I had 15 seconds of rest or so. Last night was same number of 100's, same intervals, but the 200IM's were on short rest, the first one leaving on the 2:45, then getting faster! Like I said, LMAO! The first one I came in on 2:45, oops, missed that. Left on 2:50. More 100's free, little faster than the last intervals, and another 200im. Missed it again. I could have cried if I wasn't so mad at the rec swimmer who hopped into my lane and made more waves than a floundering whale! And why do people jump into the water right as you are coming into the wall? SO, I'm already working my ass off, and I have some guy jump in and swamp me as I'm coming into the wall for the 50fly of the 200im. So, then he proceeds to swim, like a barge plowing through the water, his legs bent like he is riding a bicycle, kicking up all kinds of water every time I passed by him. Now I know I am a pool snob, and I get real annoyed at people who share my lane who aren't well versed in swim ettiquette and who don't swim quietly (you know, little splashing, staying on their side of the lane, not standing in the middle of the wall...), and I am especially easily bothered when I am doing a super hard set, heart rate at 200, just trying to suck in every ounce of oxygen in the air - not in the water! I don't breathe h2o! So, basically, the set kept going downhill. Literally and figurativelt. Every interval getting faster, my attitude getting worse. Eventually with a few to go, I was just touch and go, and I gave up and skipped the last 200im and the last 2 fast 100's free. I was pretty disappointed in myself. But I've had a hard last 10 days, getting ready for New Orleans, so maybe I can attribute some of the swim failure to overall fatigue. Its hard for me to not make sets and intervals in the pool, since that's what I grew up doing. I know what I'm capable of. And even though I was LMAO over the set when I saw it on my schedule, I arrived at the pool with a good attitude, and was ready to give it a go.

Time to move on. In other news, my new speedstar shoes are great! Yesterday I did an interval run with about 30 minutes total of z3 running, and my shoes were good, and still noniggles anywhere on the body. That, in itself, is miraculous. And with shoes I always feared would leave me injured, its even more surprising.

This weekend, We (a few of my roadie girl friends) have a beast of a ride planned for Saturday. Tribike stays parked, and little red comes out for a long hilly ride. Can't wait!

PS. I miss my mountain bike. Its been hanging in the garage for almost 2 months. I know she feels lonely. Between getting ready for NO 70.3, and the fact that Feb-April are usually difficult times to get on our trails (freeze/thaw makes the trails unridable much of that time, and the rare days when it is ridable, usually seem to be weekday mornings, when I'm at work!). After NO, I can't wait to get her out to the trails for some fun times! I hope she is still good to me.

No comments: