Monday, March 16, 2009

compression tights

I'm now officially hooked on compression tights. I've had a pair for a few months, tried them for a few runs, didn't really think they did much, but have not really used them for recovery. After a long difficult ride on Saturday, my legs were so sore, quads, hamstrings, calves. I walked around the house for an hour or so, feeling sore and fatigured, and decided to put them on and see if they actually did help. And what do you know, they did! The soreness actually seemed to slowly dissipate. And next morning I was not sore. That's not to say I wasn't still tired, but I was not sore. SO I practically lived in them this weekend when I was not training. If you don't have a pari, and you train hard, you should get some!

Another interesting thing I saw Sunday evening, was a story on 60 Minutes about Alice Waters. She is a chef, who espouses 'slow food', organic, locallly grown food. And while that is all great, and I've heard it before, what I thought was her most interesting idea, was having a vegetable garden at local schools tended to by the students. Where the students learn to cultivate the ground, grow vegetables, and even prepare healthy meals and snacks with what they grow. I couldnt' help but imagine what an amazing thing it would be if every grade school in the US had the kids do this. Where they learn to grow healthy food, harvest, prepare and eat it. All part of starting them in a healthy lifestyle when they are young. COuld be a good start to ending childhood obesity.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I'm certainly living in my socks... they do work indeed! Tights are next on my list... and then perhaps a full body stocking! :o)

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Okay, okay, okay..... should i buy the miracle tights now? You have me convinced! What should I buy? How much? Would they help me recover from my hip flexor money and also slim my hips down - ha! ha! Sounds like training is going well!