Tuesday, December 30, 2008

in my world of swimming...

Yesterday I went to the pool for my workout, and an age group club team from Illinois was at our pool for a few days of training. I was a little early before I could get in, so I watched these high school age kids training. It brought back a lot of memories from my days as an age group swimmer. These kids were working so hard, but also smiling and laughing. That’s what it’s all about – seeing where hard work can take you, but also being able to laugh when the going gets tough. As I watched them swim, I thought back to some of my hardest workouts – those are the ones you remember – 10x400IM (lcm), a 7200m IM set, 5000m for time, the list goes on and on , and marveled that I could have ever done some of them. But I did, and I will always remember how I felt when I accomplished these things I never imagined I could do. Swimming as a kid made me who I am today, and I wouldn’t change a thing about the time I gave up to be the best I could be.

Then it was my turn to get in the water. And I hopped in , and as always, I swim, and I try to be as long as I can be for a 5’4’’ swimmer. I feel generally good until I get to my main set which has me doing some 200’s, on short rest, at a pretty fast pace. I hate 200’s. I don’t know why, I was a sprinter, even though I trained a lot of distance when I was younger. I never got over my dislike of 200’s. So, I did the 200’s, and I’d say on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is a great effort/result, I was about a 6. Why I couldn’t get to the 10, I don’t know. I’ll chalk it up to mental block dating back 25 years ago.

In other swimming news, my alma mater ,Miami University women’s swimming is off to a fantastic start of the collegiate swim season. They are undefeated in the conference, and have already had lots of fast swims for so early in the season. They remain at the top of the D1 midmajor polls. go redhawks!!!!

No comments: