Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Mental Toughness - I hope I have it

So, last month I decided to actually start loosely following the ironman training plan I purchased last year, and didn't use (because I didn't do ironman arizona - too wimpy to train throughout the winter, bike issues...). Now things are going swimmingly (except for my swimming), so I decided to start following the training plan. And I have this little race penciled in on my calendar, called Silverman. They offer a half IM and a full IM. Its an incredibly beautiful setting for a race (go to their website and read one of the race reports, originally posted on slowtwitch, the pics are fabulous). When I read the race report I decided I wanted to do one of the races someday. This year seems like a great time to do it. I am planning to give IM Lou 2009 a shot, so I could use silverman as a practice run at the training, and use it as a great practice race, pacing, nutrition.... Its a super hard race, lots of climbing on the bike (10000ft) and run (2000ft), so it won't be a fast race, but it will give me a great test. And will give me a great base for next years training.

So, as I said, I started the training plan. I'm not following it exactly, because I do my own swim workouts, the ones on the plan are too boring for me. And since I still race xterra and mountain bikes, I swap an occasional road ride for an mtb ride. I'm two weeks into the plan, woohoo, and so far, so good. I wonder how mentally tough I will be at sticking to the plan in two months. I think I will have help on the long runs. This morning when I ran with Emily I asked her if she would be able to do her long runs (in prep for a fall marathon) on Thursday mornings so we can do them together. I think she will be able to. That will be a huge help - for both of us!

Now is the time for me to start getting tough, mentally tough. I think I'm finally ready, 9 years after IM Lake Placid 1999! But I also have to chill out and enjoy. After all, this is all just for fun!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are tough enough!