Monday, May 26, 2008

Good Weekend


It was great to have a three day weekend of training. Saturday started with a hilly 7mile trail run with Daisy (she did some swimming too).

Then a 3.5 hour mtb at Brown County. The pace ranged from easy to time at zone 5, and we got to hit the new trail which has some new technical things to practice on, including some very cool rock bridges. I did ok on the way out, but the return trip was a little sketchy. Tired legs after the hills on the run and the earlier part of the ride, had me riding not so smart. Tired legs on the road bike just mean you go slower, or hurt more. Tired legs on the mtb mean potential crashes, or lots of dabbing, or even stopping to prevent a crash. Rode with Angela, Meredith and Heather, all great riders, Heather puts the hurt to me every time we ride. She always says she is slow and out of shape, but she is undoubtedly one of the top 2 women riders in the state (along with Sally - who by the way is doing RAAM next month!).

Sunday was more of the same, but this time started with the ride, 3.5 hrs mtb again, my legs were toast by the end. Next weekend is the local mtb race at Brown County, and unfortunately it is on Sunday, and Saturday will be a hard training day. But that's just the way it goes. I'll do the race, but it will be a good hard training day, because the real race for me is June 8, at Pelham. My first outdoor swim of the season was yesterday afternoon. The water felt fantastic, although a little warm (82 degrees), I hope they shut off the heater, or I'll be forced back into the indoor pool in a few weeks because the outdoor pool will be too hot. Managed a ladder of 200m->50m on 1:30 sendoff, holding 1:20-25ish pace. Not great, but since I have been averaging 1500 yards per week, my swiming is really off. I hope I don't lose a lot of minutes at Pelham compared to last year. Monday morning and I wanted to hit the TT bike, since I have a whole day off, but Daisy was going crazy this morning so I opted for another hilly trail run this AM, (Pelham has a killer killy 10k run at the end, so the more practice I get on the hills the better, and it was wamr and very humid, the first time we've had a warm morning, so it was good practice for Alabama , where its probably 15+ degrees warmer than we are). Thought maybe I'd ride this afternoon. But my legs are tired, and I have an interval TT ride on the training calendar for tomorrow, so I'm just going to mellow out and do some work around the house this afternoon.

I've read some of the TTT race reports, and think 2009 will be the time to give that race a try. Next summer will be a big focus on ironman, I'm excited about that, and enjoying riding the TT bike right now and getting myself confortable with it.

Also got to watch another stage of the Giro - a big mountain stage. Those guys are monsters climbing those mountains! Someday I want to go Eurpoe and climb some of the big famous climbs, or at least try to.

No comments: