Monday, November 22, 2010

giving thanks for sport

Sport is special to me. It was a big part of my life as a child. As an adolescent. As a young adult, and even today. Over 40 years, I have loved it and hated it. I have been inspired by it. I have been disappointed by it. But its always been there. And it always will be here.

I am thankful for the life lessons sport taught me. Talent may get you so far, but hard work and discipline will take you farther. Sport can lead you to dream big. It can bring you great success and reward. It can also bring you great failures. But learning from the failures is even more reward than the success. Because if you learn from failure, is it really failure?

Sport is a selfish endeavor. To have people in your life who support that selfish endeavor is special. And I am thankful for the people along the way who have supported me. They supported me when I did well. When I did poorly. When I was frustrated and tired. When I was happy. Even when my dreams seem a little outrageous to them, the support is still there.

Sport inspires me. I am inspired by the best in the world, excelling beyond our wildest imagination. I am inspired by the everyday person. The people who live everyday busy lives, but still manage to excel amongst their peers. And of course, I am inspired by the athlete who has overcome great physical or emotional adversity to excel in their endeavors.

Sport has given me a life of health and fitness. Granted there are many more important things in the world than sport, but a healthy life can help give back more to the world.

Sport has given me so many amazing friends. I have so many amazing memories of the years with my friends from my swimming years. And now great friends who I train with today, and those who I only see occasionally at a race or through facebook and email. I love you all and the fun times we have had together!

Even at 44 years of age, I still have athletic dreams and goals. I don’t know if I will reach them, but I will have fun trying.

I hope you all have a wonderful thankful week!

9 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

great post Cheryl. I think alot about all the stuff i did as a kid and how i eventually grew to love tennis like it was a sibling or a spouse. seriously I would sleep with my tennis racket and dream of tennis. I once dreamed i was playing in a pro match, it was so bizzarre and awesome. it was so real.
And yes as we eb and flow thru ups and downs we are always athletes and always passionate about sport and all it has given to us. Happy Thanksgiving!

runningyankee said...

agree! sport does alot for us. i dont even think we really know just how much... :) have a great holiday!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

TOTALLY agree, Cheryl ! Sport is such a nice way to go through life indeed! I hope you are well and feeling better each day! Happy thanksgiving. this was a nice post - loved it !

mjcaron said...

I hate to admit that sport is selfish but you are probably right. Thanks for the reality check :)

Carole Sharpless said...

Great post, girl.......

Damie said...

yes- I think these things too :)

Damie said...

so funny- I don't know where to write you back and I am not sure if you check comments here! ha! Yes, thank you. I oscillate between feeling awesome about the race and then disappointed as well. I feel, though, that when you put so much into a race with preparation, the joy and disappointment can both be great and equal, and that is okay. it just makes me want to do another one! maybe you are going to have to get your blog going again????

Unknown said...

Whatever sports you are doing, you have to do it regularly to gain results. Sometimes it is not as easy as it seems. In order to enhance my strength and gain the most benefits from my workouts I am taking additional nutrition. I have tried a lot of different workout supplements over the years and nothing has given me as much energy and focus as Military Grade Nutritionals have. In my opinion, their pre-workouts are the most effective supplements.

Angela and David said...

Love this post!