Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Top 10 Reasons to Train in the WInter

David Letterman does his top 10 list, I thought I'd do one too.

Here are my top 10 reasons for training in the winter:

10) keep the winter blubber gain to a minimum

9) going to the pool is like a mini-tropical vacation several times a week - its 80 degrees in there!

8) get to wear all that winter gear that I've sunk so much money into over the years

7) get to test the not so successful fueling strategy of go long with nothing but a few sips of water, because your water bottles and camelbacks freeze and you can't manhandle the food out of your pockets with heavily gloved hands, and you can't stop to eat because you start to freeze when you stop

6) don't have to beg your coach to do sprinting and IM in the pool, since tri season is a long way off yet

5) taking on the winter potholes and road conditions is a good test of your reflexes, and certain to give you opportunity to change a flat or two, and you can never have enough practice at that

4) when the roads are slippery, its a valid excuse to slow down on the run, and no, I don't own a dreadmill, so its a valid excuse for me!

3) I love TRX ,and I get to do that in the warmth of my house. And when it warms up I can even take it outside in my backyard and fling it over a tree branch and enjoy the outdoors while I torture myself.

2) SHORT COURSE YARDS!

1) you can truly consider yourself a badass if you ride outside when the temperatures are below 25 degrees! And maybe a dumbass too ;-)

7 comments:

Jennifer Harrison said...

HA!! LOVE IT! :)) See, winter isn't too bad! :)

Jennifer Cunnane said...

OMG you ARE such a badass - riding outside at 25 degrees???!!! Wow! I laughed on the practicing the nutrition strategy in the cold. I have been running dehydrated in the cold for 2 months now, long runs I have T-20 minutes of hydration until everything freezes up including gels!!! Let's make plans soon for your training trip and/or Kansas this year!!

mjcaron said...

hehehe..Great list!! I love the warmth of the pool especially after a chilly run. The water actually feels really warm.

GoBigGreen said...

I am starting some TRX "lessons" with a trainer at my Y. OH MY GOD what have i done:)
great post. I love how i can run 2 min/mile faster on the road than on the snowy icey paths so wheni have to kill some time at the end of a long run i hit the path:)

Charisa said...

Great list!!

Ange said...

great list! You guys have me intrigued with TRX...
and I agree w/ Jen C ...badass! you are riding outside in this?

Maria said...

i.hate.winter.training.
I'm that seasonal runner that runs more in the spring, summer and fall. I do swim plenty in the winter, I get a sick satisfaction when my hair freezes when I'm done and heading home.