Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Off-Season starts today - 5 days early.

After Augusta I was getting a little burnt out, but not having a great run at that race, I asked Jen if I could train for the half marathon in Indy this Saturday. She said yes, and after a week of R&R after Augusta she had me running hard. For 4 weeks I was doing runs I sometimes didn't think I would survive. At the same time I was still fighting with the 'saddle sore' I had gotten back in August (which made it hard for me to be happy getting on the bike, so I eventually stopped that hoping it would go away, and waiting for an appt wiht a dermatologist to come around). Its very hard to get appointments with the dermatologists in Btown, and yesterday I finally had one with the best doc in town. I had a marble sized cyst where my right leg joins my torso, and she cut that thing out! Stitched it up and said come back in 10 days to remove the stitches, do this, that and the other in between, which included no running, bike riding , heavy lifting or bending. ouch! so much for the half mary! And all that training down the drain! Well, not really, I still had some great sessions, and learned that I could suffer a little more than I thought I could. I just don't get to do the last run.

So, my 2 weeks off for my off-season was supposed to start Sunday, instead starts today. When you worry about tearing stitches and getting infection, its easier to take 10 days off, than when you don't have those worries. I'll be ready to go again before 10 days, I'm sure.

2 comments:

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Oh - ouch!!! That is such a bummer, but I completely understand. It's much easier to justify sitting around and not keeping active when your health depends on it! I hear you too on the running, I did not have the 1/2 mary I had hoped for this past year so I am completely motivated to work on running when i return from the offseason!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Hang in there Cheryl !!!! this rest will do you good. :) ENJOY the rest!